My quest for a dedicated bluegill setup...

flywatersmallie

Reaction score
Has come to an end. I was looking for a single rod to carry on some local ponds. I found it. Short enough to avoid the trees but long enough to control the line. I own several of the other Superfine Touch rods but this one seems a little faster than the others. I really like this rod! This model in particular is more on the faster side of medium than the rest of the series I have played with. Oh, its the 7'6" 4 weight. Reel is the new Battenkill II and Hydros Superfine line. Can not wait to get it wet! My wife doesn't care so I figured I would show it to someone who does :p

dc410

Reaction score
Nice outfit. Although I don't think I would find myself dedicating it to just Bluegills. I can think if a lot of applications for that outfit that would be a whole lot of fun.

mike_r

Reaction score
I really liked the 7'6" 5wt Superfine touch I cast. A 5 weight line for me is more versatile as a bluegill line cause with it, I can carry those heavy weighted sz 10 bugger variants I tie to catch the "Bull" gills. You will enjoy that rod I am sure! Nice small stream trout stick too!

flywatersmallie

Reaction score
Nice rod but you should have bought a 2 or 3wt in about a 6 1/2' rod IMO.
That was the original plan but some of the flies these fish like around here are fairly large and wind resistant. These ponds have a good population of hybrids that are not above taking near bass sized flies. I wanted a little extra power to turn over those larger flies when the situation called for it but still a soft enough taper that the fish were fun when it didn't.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

My bluegill setup is the 1wt SFT with the Battenkill 1. I love it!
Nice! I have the 1 weight too. Its a fun stick!

wee hooker

Reaction score
Keeping "a few" bluegill sticks myself, I would suggest you keep your new toy in a reel on rod case while traveling. True these little sticks get damaged easily but the main reason is to keep it rigged for those quick roadside stops for a cast or two. Amazing on how much more fishing you can get in when your rod is always ready.
Additionally, there is usually plenty of room in the reel pouch on these cases for a small fly box and a set of hemo's. Everything a bluegill guy needs to be happy in one slick package :)

Enjoy your new rod!