The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2014, 07:55 PM

carp and bass is on a distinguished road
Default Northern On a 6wt questions

He everyone,
I have an old six weight and that's all I got and am wondering if I can catch northerns on it. I am wondering what size flies I should use and what patterns. I don't really wanna cast giant flies on a six weight. Also what leader do I put on it? Thanks in advance,
Icefishfun
Old 12-18-2014, 08:05 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Northern On a 6wt questions

6WT is on the smallish side but it can work well enough to get started. You'll want an 8WT rod eventually. Bunny strip streamer is the simplest fly I know that will work. Bright colors like chartreus, yellow, white. Throw in a little flash and you are set. For a 6WT a 4in streamer is probably enough. Once the fly is wet it will cast well enough. Get out there early season while they are shallow. It is a LOT of fun.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:14 PM

unknownflyman is on a distinguished road

6 weight with some backbone will work just fine and I even can`t tell you how many big pike I`ve landed on my little walleye rod which is way smaller and lighter than a 6 weight fly rod.

I`ve landed my biggest chinook on a six weight rod and that fought harder than most northerns.

Mind the leader 20 lb test down to 12lb should do the job, palm the reel well, you will be fine.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:21 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I've caught numerous 30"+ pike on a 5wt and a white bugger... But now I've got bigger rods with bigger flies for that job