The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2015, 03:36 PM

jedwards36 is on a distinguished road
Default Smallmouth rod Help.

I know there are a lot of threads but i jsut want a definitive answer to my question. Since most rivers below PA and west of the Ozarks contain both decent smallmouth and also plenty of sunfish... This being said; Would it be better to have a 6wt to make the sunfish more fun... Or would it be better to bump up with a 7wt to throw bigger poppers? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2015, 03:56 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Smallmouth rod Help.

There are no stupid questions. The point behind a forum is so that you can get the help you need.

Everyone will likely have a different opinion here, but I'd opt for the 6wt. When I throw poppers to smallies, none of them are so big that I can't handle them on a 6wt. Smallmouth don't need "huge" poppers. Even smaller bugs make a ton of noise on the water.

The difference between a 6wt and a 7wt will be minimal if you're only going to throw poppers on it. The time that I would rather have a 7wt over a 6wt is when it comes to getting down and dirty with sink tips and streamers. The heavier the better as far as I'm concerned.

Neither a 6wt or 7wt is an idea rod to fish for sunfish on. I'd get the smallmouth rod that you're most comfortable with, and then down the road when you have the available funds, get yourself a second rod that you can have more fun catching sunfish on.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:43 PM

shopworn is on a distinguished road

Not sure there is one right answer to your question.... It sorta depends on the rod to some degree....and what suits you. I fish a lot for smallies on the New River in NC and VA. My first choice is always an 8 wt. I throw a lot of size 4 bugs and the 8 wt, for me, just makes it easy...hour after hour. I often stick a 6 wt in the canoe...but never seem to like to use it as much as the 8. I'll tolerate catching sunfish on the 8 (...since casting the bigger bugs is easier with the 8) I used a 7 wt for a season and liked it...but still prefer the 8...especially with at 17-22 inch smallie..... My 8 is rated as fast...but it has a little more flex than most other "fast" 8 wts.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:02 PM

Would a 7wt be all that different with poppers?

I should also add i will do some fishing the south branch of the potomac which has some decent fish in it
Old 02-25-2015, 07:53 PM
caster o flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
There are no stupid questions. The point behind a forum is so that you can get the help you need.

Everyone will likely have a different opinion here, but I'd opt for the 6wt. When I throw poppers to smallies, none of them are so big that I can't handle them on a 6wt. Smallmouth don't need "huge" poppers. Even smaller bugs make a ton of noise on the water.

The difference between a 6wt and a 7wt will be minimal if you're only going to throw poppers on it. The time that I would rather have a 7wt over a 6wt is when it comes to getting down and dirty with sink tips and streamers. The heavier the better as far as I'm concerned.

Neither a 6wt or 7wt is an idea rod to fish for sunfish on. I'd get the smallmouth rod that you're most comfortable with, and then down the road when you have the available funds, get yourself a second rod that you can have more fun catching sunfish on.
I once had a stupid question, but your's isn't stupid at all.

Ted4887 is giving you very good advice, I'd follow it.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:21 PM

tedwin183 is on a distinguished road

I go 6-8wt. If you had to have only 1, I'd get a good 7 wt. It'll throw a little bigger fly than a 6 but not feel as heavy as an 8. I use 6 or 8 depending on what season and what types of flies I'm planning on throwing and while I'm fishing known waters. I go with a 7 when I am exploring new water and can only bring 1 rod with me. Easier to pack in a lot more flies than an extra rod.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:33 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post

This is solid advise. I would definitely get the second rod for panfish. Even a cheap 3 or 4WT outfit will put the fun back in landing a bluegill. You'll think you are 8 years old again when you catch a large gill. Spend your money on a bass rod that will throw those streamers in a breeze.
jjack likes this.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:35 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

The line you pick is more important than the rod.I used to fish the Potomac with a 6wt and never had any problems.If you need to,its easy to upline a 6wt rod with a 7wt line.I do it all the time for LMB and light SW.A good SW 6wt rod will cover many bases and still be fun for smaller fish.I can easily throw a 1/0 gurgler with my 6wt.If you need anything bigger,pick up an 8wt.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:20 PM

el_deanyo is on a distinguished road

SMB vs. Sunfish: Two very different targets and getting a definite answer is very... subjective

I mostly fish warm water, so those are what I'm frequently after and they are at different ends of the warm water spectrum spectrum.

I'd buy an 8 wt and a cheapo 3-4 wt rod. Here's why/what:

IA said it well - get a 3/4 for sunfish. A suggestion is get the EagleClaw Featherlight 3/4 for targeting sunfish. Since you're talking about 1 rod for both, I assume you're on a budget. At about $30 it's cheap and is a blast to cast. Someone tell me a better 3-4 wt. economy rod!?

If you want to go after smallies, then get a 7wt at least. An 8wt would be ideal because you could target pretty much all bass on it. There are a number of great 8wt's you can choose on the market today at a great price. There's a reason 8's are such a popular selling weight today... they are extremely versatile, and because of that, everyone is making great ones at an affordable price.

Personally, I own the featherlight and it's a blast for sunfish. I use a few 8's for my bass needs, with my favorite being a Mystic Inception because it casts great and is $130! Having 1 of each would be perfect, but I can't see 1 rod fitting both needs.
ia_trouter and supgen like this.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 AM

I think that it"d be better to pick up a 7wt and then pick up a cheap sunfish rod. The 7wt should be okay with big poppers, larger streamers(6-2), and 16"+ fish right?
And thanks for the help everyone