The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2015, 09:19 PM

reid is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts on leader

I have been using a knotless eyelet at the end of my fly line with a 7 foot piece of regular 10lb test tied to it. I have forgone the leader. Do you think this will have a negative impact on my fishing. I am trying this because overall I find it simpler. Fewer knots and pieces to deal with. What do you think.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:41 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on leader

A bit more information might help but I see you posted in the warm water section so I'll draw on my bass / pike etc fishing to answer. When you refer to the knotless eyelet on the end of the line, do you mean a welded loop? That's a loop at the end of the line made from the fly line material? If so, that's how nearly all my lines are and I prefer it. As for the leader, I use something similar when fishing for bass and pike and musky - just a straight piece of mono between the line and the fly. I'm fishing streamers and topwater poppers / bass bugs none of which require a delicate presentation. Is this similar to the fishing you're doing?
fly_rover likes this.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 PM

wolfglen has a spectacular aura aboutwolfglen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid View Post
I have been using a knotless eyelet at the end of my fly line with a 7 foot piece of regular 10lb test tied to it. I have forgone the leader. Do you think this will have a negative impact on my fishing. I am trying this because overall I find it simpler. Fewer knots and pieces to deal with. What do you think.
For the one time you have to tied a good leader and just replace the tippet over the times you go fishing, why not just construct a good tapered leader?

It's going to turn over so much better. If you are referring to one of those little metal spikes with a ring at one end, it will eventually wear through the finish and you will lose the leader, fly and probably a large fish.

It doesn't take but a few minutes per leader sitting down some evening when the snow flies or the winds blow to tie a good leader
banjominnow likes this.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:09 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud of

As mentioned by WilliamHJ, some more info would be helpful. Chasing bass, pike, musky etc with such a system could work fine. If chasing trout, bones, redfish, etc , you may benefit by using some kind of tapered leader to deliver the fly in a more gentle of presentation. Whether it be a tapered nylon or a tapered furled leader, Tapered leaders would aid in turning over your flies.

But in the end, if it works for you, (your catching fish), then yes, it is OK.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 04-29-2015, 10:15 PM

Mainly whatever I can catch. Around me that would be panfish, bass, pike, and trout. And yes I mean one of the little barbed eyelet you thread into the end of the fly line.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:42 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid View Post
Mainly whatever I can catch. Around me that would be panfish, bass, pike, and trout. And yes I mean one of the little barbed eyelet you thread into the end of the fly line.
I have never been a fan of those little barbed eyelets. A strong enough fish will pull it out of the line.

You should tie a foot to foot and a half long piece of .024" (about 30 pound test/heavier for larger game) piece of monofilament to the fly line with a nail knot. That would be a butt section. From there you could tie whatever leader you want.

Dennis
fredaevans and wee hooker like this.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:16 AM

turbineblade is a glorious beacon of lightturbineblade is a glorious beacon of lightturbineblade is a glorious beacon of lightturbineblade is a glorious beacon of lightturbineblade is a glorious beacon of light

You are fishing with a leader -- that's why your 7' piece of 10-pound test is. You just aren't using a tapered leader.

There's really nothing wrong with fishing a straight piece of mono for a leader if it works for you. They don't turn over as well as a tapered leader, no argument there -- but it can certainly work.

And yes -- I would either nail knot a piece of 30 pound mono with a loop in one end, or create a whipped loop in the end of your fly line with tying thread.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:08 AM

So the knotless eyelet is poking through the line a little. Still very strong so wont pull out(at least not on fish around my area) but will cut up the line over time. So I switched back to a tapered leader and tippet. On the plus side tied the tippet with a surgeons knot which is super simple I my opinion compared to the blood knot I used previously.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:14 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
As mentioned by WilliamHJ, some more info would be helpful. Chasing bass, pike, musky etc with such a system could work fine. If chasing trout, bones, redfish, etc , you may benefit by using some kind of tapered leader to deliver the fly in a more gentle of presentation. Whether it be a tapered nylon or a tapered furled leader, Tapered leaders would aid in turning over your flies.

But in the end, if it works for you, (your catching fish), then yes, it is OK.
Another excellent option is the 'Furled Leaders' that CutThroat makes: "Bee's Knees." Only thing is you need to let him know what line weight (6,7, 8 what-ever) as these are NOT a 'One size fits all.' You also want the small ring at the end. To that you attach a run of 'final leader.' Need to change out? You just replace that last little bit; even with a lot of water time a furled leader will last you a year or more.

fae
Old 05-01-2015, 11:13 AM

I was thinking of trying tippet rings. Haven't got around to them yet as my local stores dont have em so would need to drive a little bit or probably order online.