The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2015, 06:09 PM

rancidsumo is on a distinguished road
Default Moving to Warm Water Country - Couple Questions

I'm moving out of the west and into warm water country. I haven't been at this long so my current setup only includes one rod/reel. I've got a Winston BIIX 9' 4 wt. that I normally load up with 4x leader and 5x or 6x tippet. This has been a great rod for trout in CO, WY, and MT but I'm concerned about its suitability in my new home waters in the Austin area of TX.

So my questions really boil down to the following:

1. Am I going to be outgunned fishing with a 4 wt. on the rivers in Texas hill country?

2. If I am, what size rod do I need to pick up?

3. Any general advice for someone switching from fishing for trout exclusively to bass and whatever the hell else lives down here?

4. Any specific advice for Austin area fishing?

5. How difficult is it going to be fishing this area without a boat? Everything I read when trying to research it involves boats and lakes and things like that. I'm used to hiking and wading. Any reason why that won't work?
Old 07-22-2015, 06:32 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to Warm Water Country - Couple Questions

Quote:
1. Am I going to be outgunned fishing with a 4 wt. on the rivers in Texas hill country?
2. If I am, what size rod do I need to pick up?
Not necessarily if you're fishing the rivers. But in the lakes you may be. A 6 wt would likely be a better choice & compromise without getting too heavy.

Quote:
3. Any general advice for someone switching from fishing for trout exclusively to bass and whatever the hell else lives down here?
Generally warmwater species are not as picky as trout and like some bigger offerings. This is not to say trout size flies won't catch many warmwater fish, but thinking it terms of "bigger" will often get better results. By "bigger" with a 4 wt, that may be size 8 to 4. I often cast 6" long streamers tied on 1/0 or 2/0 size hooks for bass, which you're not going to have to worry about trying with that 4 wt.

Quote:
4. Any specific advice for Austin area fishing?
Sorry, can't help with that one!

Quote:
5. How difficult is it going to be fishing this area without a boat? Everything I read when trying to research it involves boats and lakes and things like that. I'm used to hiking and wading. Any reason why that won't work?
I had a friend who guided in the hill country. He did a lot of wading in the rivers, but for the most part traveled around them in a canoe. He also lived on one of them, the Brazos, so access was not an issue. You'll need to check into that. I'm not sure what the access situation will be for you.

BTW, the flooding that occurred several weeks back in that area may have destroyed a lot of fishing in the rivers. I saw some pics that didn't look good, with 100 year old tree's toppled & such. You may have to stick to fishing the lakes.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-22-2015, 08:41 PM

fq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to all

Howdy, its been a while since I lived in Austin, but there is great fly fishing from trout like river fishing for guadalupe and white bass, to stripers, large mouths and panfish. Heck, TU even stocks rainbows.If you join you can fish for them as the banks are private property.. Hie thyself to the Austin Angler on Congress Avenue in Austin. Its about halfway between the capitol and town lake. It is an awesome flyshop and they will steer you right.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:06 PM

deceiverbob will become famous soon enough

Ask your question here also

Flyfishing Forum - 2CoolFishing

It's the fly fishing part of a Texas based fishing forum.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:09 PM

rancidsumo is on a distinguished road

Are those river bass small enough to go after with the 4 wt? Also, what is TU?

I'm hoping by the time I get there and get going the rivers will be fishable. At least this winter when the trout stocking starts. I'm actually still in WY for a bit longer, taking advantage of some last minute trout fishing.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:38 PM

fq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to all

Well TU isn't as cool as UT, but then, what is? Hookem horns! TU is trout unlimited and they have a put and take winter fishery for rainbows. But frankly ignore that. The bass and panfish in down town Austin, I am talking ten pound stripers in Town Lake and white bass in the Hill Country and great music, awesome mountain biking and great food? Brother you are moving to the promised land. And did I mention deer, hogs, doves and quail? You are blessed son. Set your radio to KGSR, KUT, KFAN (Texas Rebel Radio) relax and enjoy. It is good to be you.
wee hooker likes this.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:53 PM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of

Couple flies you'll need for sure. The "Boomer Sooner" and the "Woooo Pig Soooiee". If you ask around somebody in Austin should be able to hook you up.

onemississipp likes this.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Couple flies you'll need for sure. The "Boomer Sooner" and the "Woooo Pig Soooiee". If you ask around somebody in Austin should be able to hook you up.

He'sposted twice and you're already trying to get him shot? Welcome to the NFL rookie. ROFL. Honestly we aren't all that bad, and Austin is an awesome place, particularly if you are young, single and like tattooed women in cowboy boots who love Willy Nelson, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Muddy Waters. The official town motto? " Keep Austin Weird". Just avoid references to Aggies, Sooners or Razorbacks and you are good.
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:44 PM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of

Been a while but Austin seems like a decent place to live. I would definitely recommend you add LM Bass to your skill set. Texas is a big place of course but there is some diversity of fishing opportunities. Big Largemouth, stripers, salt etc.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Been a while but Austin seems like a decent place to live. I would definitely recommend you add LM Bass to your skill set. Texas is a big place of course but there is some diversity of fishing opportunities. Big Largemouth, stripers, salt etc.
Don't forget carp and pan fish as well as cats. Texas is like Florida in terms of diversity of fish, and the opportunity to fish fresh or salt. The only buzz kill is that 95% of the state is privately owned. BUT.... The river beds are public and if you can float you are legal. I would strongly recccomend a stable light weight canoe or kayak you can car top. It will let you access any water with a bridge over it. As to rods when I lived there my to go tos were a fast JK Fisher four weight and a six weight Sage RPL. I seldom used anything else. Both had a spare spool with a sink tip line depending on conditions.". If I lived there today I would add the ultra lights I currently am enamored with, a one weight for pan fish and a three weight for white bass and smaller large mouths. Honestly man, if you can't catch fish inside of a 45 minute drive of downtown Austin, hell, make that a five minute drive, you need to take up bowling. The fish are there. Just buy the canoe and a fast six weight (I have one to sell for short money, pm me) . Really though any decent six weright streamer rod will do. If you want to hit the coast for reds (a four plus hour drive so make it a weekend trip) you will want an eight weight. But for calm days a six will be your default rod and a fast four will work for panfish and small bass patterns.

Last edited by fq13; 07-23-2015 at 12:41 AM.