The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 04:36 PM

onemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud of
Default Sunfish- post your pics

I have been thinking of what an older gentleman said to me on a lake up north one evening. I spotted him away from the trout waters on the shallow side of the lake casting flies. I decided to go talk with him. We spoke a bit while he was fishing and I was wondering why he wasn't chasing the trout but never asked. Then out of no where he said, "I love the Sunnies".

How could you not! He was catching long ear sunfish with their beautiful colors!

I know crappie and bass are in the sunfish family but I'm talking about the colorful little guys.

We have hybrid bluegill (cross between green sunfish and bluegill) in our lake and most lakes around, but they just don't have the color.

So post them up and tell us what you call them in your part of the country!

Here are the fish he was catching!

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is a guide of sorts

Last edited by onemississipp; 03-10-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:04 PM

deceiverbob is a glorious beacon of lightdeceiverbob is a glorious beacon of lightdeceiverbob is a glorious beacon of lightdeceiverbob is a glorious beacon of lightdeceiverbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sunfish- post your pics

This is a bluegill from the southern end of Mississippi, I like the purple color

Old 09-02-2015, 07:30 PM

herchammer is a name known to allherchammer is a name known to allherchammer is a name known to allherchammer is a name known to allherchammer is a name known to allherchammer is a name known to all

Love the fight in these little guys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by mcnerney; 09-02-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:44 PM

kentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant future

Those are all beauties.Heres one i caught monday.Just a small bluegill but still fun to catch.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:08 PM

onemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud of
Default Sunfish- post your pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceiverbob View Post
This is a bluegill from the southern end of Mississippi, I like the purple color

And one from North Mississippi, same purple!

Herchammer, beautiful colors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Here is a hybrid I spoke of....

Old 09-02-2015, 09:18 PM

dc410 is just really nicedc410 is just really nicedc410 is just really nicedc410 is just really nicedc410 is just really nice

Cool thread! Here are the four primary species of sunfish that I catch regularly in SE and Central PA. We obviously get hybrids of many of these as well, but I would call all of these photos purebreds. Gorgeous little fish and lots of fun on a fly rod!

Redbreast Sunfish

Bluegill

Green Sunfish

Pumpkinseed

Old 09-02-2015, 09:49 PM

John,
Thanks for sharing! The lake up north I spoke of was in PA, Lebanon area.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Here is an article I was reading earlier today,

Know Your Sunfish | The Ultimate Bass Fishing Resource GuideŽ LLC
Old 09-02-2015, 09:52 PM

huntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to behold

Just think what those little beasts would be like if they weighed in at 1-2 lbs... Hello rod bend...... Talk about a Permit turning sideways and running.......
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun/Pistol Team Coach
NSCA Level III Instructor
Old 09-02-2015, 09:55 PM

Here's one from little rock Arkansas

Old 09-02-2015, 10:45 PM

dc410 is just really nicedc410 is just really nicedc410 is just really nicedc410 is just really nicedc410 is just really nice

Dustin,

That was an interesting article. Thanks for sharing it. Here is a photo of one of the hybrids that I caught recently. (Yeah, that is my 8wt in the background, caught this one while I was targeting carp so it wasn't much of a fight) Anyway, I'm not totally sure what this is a cross between. I can almost see characteristics of all four of the species that I showed above. Half of it is definitely a Green Sunfish and I would guess that the other parent was a Redbreast Sunfish merely because the creek that I caught it in has mostly Green and Redbreast in it. Redbreast Sunnies are my most favorite species to target with the fly rod. They are every bit as scrappy as a Bluegill and are located generally in warmwater creeks often found when targeting Smallmouth Bass. They have large mouths similar to a Green Sunfish and can take in some pretty big offerings like the one I showed above that took a size 6 foam gurgler while bass fishing.

Here is a photo of that hybrid

Last edited by dc410; 09-02-2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Photo download