Fall fishing should be great!

onemississipp

Reaction score
Got an email from the wildlife department,

MDWFP recently stocked 150,000 bluegill, 75,000 redear sunfish, and 15,000 channel catfish into Lake Lamar Bruce near Saltillo. According to MDWFP Fisheries Biologist Tyler Stubbs, "Our goal is to provide a long-term quality fishery, and the large stocking of bluegill and redear sunfish is a proactive management approach to reduce the chances of bass over-crowding."

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Nice! Warm weather, warm water and multiple species sounds like heaven right about now.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

onemississipp

Reaction score
Today's high was 79 low 67....

The wildlife department has stocked many lakes in the area!

We also have a federal fish hatchery in town...they raise some endangered species and ship them all over the country..

I was there once and they had white sturgeon, they were about an inch long and were head for the northwest when ready...pretty cool...

The paddle fish they raise are a funny bunch!

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

They also raise alligator gar...

I don't Facebook but their government site is super old..here are some pics

https://m.facebook.com/pvtjohnallen...752701355187.-2207520000.1446773396.&refid=17

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Today's high was 79 low 67....

The wildlife department has stocked many lakes in the area!

We also have a federal fish hatchery in town...they raise some endangered species and ship them all over the country..

I was there once and they had white sturgeon, they were about an inch long and were head for the northwest when ready...pretty cool...

The paddle fish they raise are a funny bunch!

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

They also raise alligator gar...

I don't Facebook but their government site is super old..here are some pics

https://m.facebook.com/pvtjohnallen...752701355187.-2207520000.1446773396.&refid=17
Lucky you!

And its not even actually cold yet here! I may force myself out tomorrow morning. I'm going nuts. Another snow storm moving in Sunday night. Its a good thing actually with how bad the drought is. We've already received more precip than we typically do for the whole month of November. Hopefully this El Nino thing will actually pan out. Just the thing is I HATE THE WINTER!!!! :mad:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Hopefully that redear sunfish stocking works out for you. They have been stocking them in some of the better water around here too. I don't know that I have ever caught one of size, but I understand they tend to get larger than most of the typical bluegill species.

onemississipp

Reaction score
Here were the records from the lake before they drained and remodeled it..

Redear 2.75 lbs.

Bluegill 2 lbs. 3 oz

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

Here is the stock list for that lake:

Largemouth Bass
Crappie
Bluegill
Redear
Channel Catfish
Walleye

I have never caught a walleye but would sure like to!

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

Lucky you!

And its not even actually cold yet here! I may force myself out tomorrow morning. I'm going nuts. Another snow storm moving in Sunday night. Its a good thing actually with how bad the drought is. We've already received more precip than we typically do for the whole month of November. Hopefully this El Nino thing will actually pan out. Just the thing is I HATE THE WINTER!!!! :mad:
Maybe "The Boy" will solve some problems in the West...Wonder why they call it the boy anyway?

I hate the cold too!

When I watch shows about Alaska, Wyoming, well really any place north of Colorado. I think **** I would just lay down and die! How can a human survive such temps???!!

"El Niño was originally recognized by fisherman off the coast of South America as the appearance of unusually warm water in the Pacific ocean, occurring near the beginning of the year. El Niño means The Little Boy or Christ child in Spanish. This name was used for the tendency of the phenomenon to arrive around Christmas."

With that bit of info and $5.50 you can get you a pack of smokes!

huntschool

Reaction score
Though this may not be "warm water" I am going to be interested to see how the predicted effect works for us in the lower midwest and upper south.

This could mean some excellent (read more comfortable) fishing in the MO Ozarks as well as AR rivers and streams for trout. I dont know how it will effect the East TN/Smoky Mt fishing though.

None the less, if it keeps us a bit warmer and allows the water to stay open it will be nice.

dragon11

Reaction score
With all this talk about cold and warm waters, it does make me wonder how cold it can get before blue gill will stop biting. I've read that blue gill are still active in cold weather, but is that cold weather in the south or cold weather up north?
Here in Ohio we've swung from the 40's and 50's last week, to the 60's this week. Lately I've had to fish for them deep, gotten a few fish but obviously not like in consistently warmer weather. In a little over a month a high of 20's will be the norm, with it not being uncommon to be single digits. Is it wishful thinking they'll still be biting then? I'm trying to be positive.

onemississipp

Reaction score
I have heard of people ice fishing for them...I don't really know...google images shows people stacking them like cord wood on ice...

nevadanstig

Reaction score
With all this talk about cold and warm waters, it does make me wonder how cold it can get before blue gill will stop biting. I've read that blue gill are still active in cold weather, but is that cold weather in the south or cold weather up north?
Here in Ohio we've swung from the 40's and 50's last week, to the 60's this week. Lately I've had to fish for them deep, gotten a few fish but obviously not like in consistently warmer weather. In a little over a month a high of 20's will be the norm, with it not being uncommon to be single digits. Is it wishful thinking they'll still be biting then? I'm trying to be positive.
If they are alive they will be eating. A fish isnt going to starve itself just because its cold.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

bob3700

Reaction score
Well, even though it is not all that cold here around ST. Louis, the bluegill have sure dried up in my pond.

You can forget anything on the surface. Not biting.

Go wet fly, wooleyBugger, Leach, Clauser Minnow and I can catch crappie or get an ocassional bass to bite but not like warmer weather.

Have to fish in the middle of the day when temps are warmer. Early morning and late evening have been a bust.

Bob

dragon11

Reaction score
Thanks Mississipp and Nevada, you've given me some hope. Your posts have allowed me to keep the faith.:)

fr8dog

Reaction score
Water here in central OK was 63 this past weekend. Had been nailing crappie in 12-15 feet on small jigs, but the wind let up enough to pull out the 6 wt. It was just a ton-o-fun. A couple dozen crappie (12-14"), several white bass up to 16" (not hybrids), 2 channel cats, a drum, LMB about 3 1/2 lb, and a batch of bluegills. A walleye would have made it perfect, but it wasn't to be. They all moved up into a brushy area in 3-6'feet of water. Clousers in 4 and 6 were the ticket. Color didn't seem to matter.

Too windy today and tomorrow, but Thursday should be good. Need to get the boat cleaned up anyway.

I love this time of year. Wish it could last longer.

fq13

Reaction score
Right there with you bro! When I was at UT Austin I would do the 1 am wake up, drive three hours to a wild life refuge near Houston for ducks in the morning and then put the canoe in the water for reds in the afternoon. Good times!:). Sadly I ain't 25 anymore.:eek:: Still, this is my second favorite time of year. Its cooling down enough that the bass aren't holding deep, the crappies are biting and the snook are in the back bays. In Fl. May is Christmas morning, but November comes a close second!:D

Last edited:

onemississipp

Reaction score
Just like spring turkey and crappie, mid March until 1 May, then on to bluegill....

Right now it's deer from 1 October until 31 January.. And any kind of fishing you like!

Will going to eastern ky thanksgiving week so, rainbows, Browns, and anything else!

onemississipp

Reaction score
Damn El Niño!

It snowed here almost 7 inches in February? This year...was gone by noon the next day....now ice that's a different story....

Sorry buddy :(

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Oh we need it. Badly. I'll take this every single day till march if it means it gets the waters back to healthy.