The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2015, 07:56 PM

cavscout9753 is on a distinguished road
Default Bass fly source?

Hey all, I'm looking for a good source for bass flies. I looked at flyshack, L.L. Bean and a couple others but was wondering about quality of these or others. Ideally I'm looking for frogs, mice, poppers, and some bait fish ones. So, where's a decent place to look? ("Decent" being a balance between quality and price, I'm not so skilled that I won't send a $8 mouse zinging to the back 40 on an amateur cast).
Old 12-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Bass fly source?

Google Miller's Fly Shop and check them out good flies - good prices.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-21-2015, 08:49 PM

okiegobbler is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased some warm water flies from www.breambugs.com. they specialize in bream, bass and crappie flies. Good prices as well.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
angelo1987 likes this.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:24 PM

cavscout9753 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, I'll check them both out!
Old 12-22-2015, 12:02 AM

huntschool is a glorious beacon of lighthuntschool is a glorious beacon of lighthuntschool is a glorious beacon of lighthuntschool is a glorious beacon of lighthuntschool is a glorious beacon of light

Little River Outfitters in Townsend, TN ties a fly they call a Knuckle Head....

Its an absolute killer on small mouth and I have hooked up some pretty fair LM on it also. Plus they have a great line of American mad poppers....
cavscout9753 likes this.
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun/Pistol Team Coach
NSCA Level III Instructor
Old 12-30-2015, 06:57 PM

gemicher is on a distinguished road

Another good source is:

Bass Flies : Top Fly Fishing Flies & Gear at Wholesale Prices - Discountflies.com Online Fly Shop

Not bad prices either!

G
Old 12-30-2015, 08:04 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Don't over look the many styles of flies designed for other species or waters. Although I tie & use flies that are popular for bass, I also use many other types when targeting bass. The bass don't care what we call them.

For example, there are fly patterns intended for Steelhead or Salmon that work equally well for bass, particularly Smallmouth Bass since most of these flies are used in riverine environments. Intruders and MOAL styles flies are some favorites of mine for SM bass and LM bass like them also. There are many "saltwater" flies that are excellent for targeting bass too. One of the first saltwater fly types I tied were Keys style Tarpon patterns, and I used them for LM bass.

Of course, some styles of flies are a better choice for the specific type of water being fished, and some will be equally effective in different types of water.

If I was listing the flies I've had the most success with for bass, they would be:
Clouser Minnow
Lefty's Deceiver
Clouser Half & Half
Seaducer
Poppers
Gurglers
Various rabbit strip patterns.

There are many others I've used with success but these have all worked well for me for a very long time, so I always carry them when chasing bass.

So, look around for sources for your flies, and include other key words than simply "bass flies" and you'll have a much wider range to choose from. I tie most of my own, but have purchased some to try, or to copy with my tying. There are some very good tyers around that provide excellent quality at reasonable prices. You may pay a little more from some, but the quality will generally be better too so the flies will last longer.

tcorfey likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-30-2015, 11:18 PM

kenneth0x is on a distinguished road

waters edge fly co and rusuperfly.com are my main 2 websites I order from. Very durable and well designed flies from both sites!
Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 PM

killersloth is on a distinguished road

Check out TheFlyStop.com. Their flies have been great for me (mainly trout flies though), they have really good prices, and their customer service is awesome.

I had a fly that was coming unraveled when I received it, so I sent them an email letting them know, and wondering if I could get a replacement with my next order. Instead they sent 2 replacements out to me that day!
Old 12-31-2015, 06:36 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I had to do some checking, but along the thought of what I was saying above, there's a friend of mine who sells flies on EBay that I can highly recommend.
His flies are primarily intended for Salmon, Steelhead or Sea run trout, but those I've purchased from him have been excellent for bass. His flies are not cheap, but also not as costly as you might find in a fly shop. He has some different color combinations not usually found from other sources.

Check him out! His EBay name is craig61848. Super reasonable shipping costs and he ships very fast too!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!