The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 09:15 AM

troutminister is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone ever fished for Hybrid Bass?

I am not a bass fishermen, just trout, but Im down here in south alabama and people have been telling me about the bass in the chatahootchee river called hybrid bass. I have heard that they can be caught on the fly and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:38 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone ever fished for Hybrid Bass?

Find a feeding school of whipers and man you can have some fun. If they are bigger fish leave your trout rod at home, a 7-8 wt rod is a must since these fish can get big and pull a lot. If your ok with big trout on a 5wt or so then give it a try and see how you do. I know my 5wt would do well for white bass but there a 15" or so fish is all your getting. These things 20"+ is possible. Any flies for bass or pike will do just fine. Flashy, color, and popers is what you'll be look'n for. Since whipers like to feed on mostly minnows and other small fish, streamers like the Clouser Minnow are prob the best. Larger streamers in that 4"+ range is a good place to start. If your hitting smaller fish, a 2" would do. I'd suggest to start with a white minnow streamer then look for something with a lot of poof to it. Fist thing first, I'd do some background work on the fish and lake/river/stream you looking at fishing to find likely locations and what the size the fish are running then work up from there.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a Striper and White Bass cross called a Wiper, we have them here, lotsa fun.
They can definately be caught with the flyrod, but if their anything like these here I would not chase them with anything less than a 7wt prefferably an 8wt. They are a tough, hard fighting fish.

Here we use Clouser Minnows and white Wooley Buggers, sometimes Rapalas. Good luck and go get em!!

OOOPS!!! on edit, started my response and then had to leave for a while. After I came back and finished, then posted, I seen that MrEsox had posted much of the same info.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-27-2008, 05:26 PM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

Bait fish is what both fresh and salt bass prefer...I'd go with that. As fyshykr said, 7-8wt would be best for casting big flies and landing good size fish. Freshwater Striped Bass (aka Sea Bass) can get up to 70lbs....
Old 03-27-2008, 11:38 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
OOOPS!!! on edit, started my response and then had to leave for a while. After I came back and finished, then posted, I seen that MrEsox had posted much of the same info.
I dont think theres any trouble, just giving a re-afferming about the fish. I dont think though that they can hit 70lbs, the Striped Bass "Stripers" (not sea bass thats another fish). Whipers are farm raised a lot since they grow quick, eat almost anything, and the smaller ones can be good eat'n.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:42 AM

Click the image to open in full size.

Utah.com National Parks Advisor - March 2007 Issue

Click the image to open in full size. 50 lbs Lake Powell

http://www.charliemoore.com/images/5-pound-bass/alfonso-gonzales.jpg

Stripers (Morone saxatilis) introduced to fresh water (AKA - landlocked) can get up to 70lbs.
The striped bass (also known as striper, linesider, bass, rockfish, rock and in French, bar raye) is native to most of the East Coast, ranging from the Lower St. Lawrence in Canada to northern Florida, and along portions of the Gulf of Mexico.

The unique angling qualities of this trophy fish and it’s adaptability to freshwater environments have led to a major North American range expansion within the last 100 years. A valuable fishery has been created on the west coast and inland fisheries have been developed in 31 states by stocking the striped bass into lakes and reservoirs.
Morone saxatilis - Striped Bass
Old 03-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Hybrid bass are called Sunshine bass here in Florida. We have some natural reproduction in certain locations. The adult Hybrid Bass is identified by its broken or irregular strips on its sides. Florida also has a Hybrid that is called a Palmetto Bass. Both the Sunshine and Palmetto Bass are created by cross breading White Bass and Striped Bass. The Sunshine Bass has a female White bass. The Palmetto Bass has a female Striped Bass.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:23 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Quote:
Freshwater Striped Bass (aka Sea Bass) can get up to 70lbs....
Hybrids/wipers won't get this big, though. Our state's wildlife and parks lists the state record at 22lbs and the world record is listed at 27lbs. Wiper / Fishing Forecast / Fishing / KDWP - KDWP

That said, a big wiper makes sizzling runs like a striper so have plenty of backing. They will often take you deep into the reel. In reservoirs, shad are a primary food source and they herd them the way white bass do (I think stripers do too, if memory serves). Many use poppers in this situation. If they're not on top, a streamer. If there's shad available, I'd start by imitating them or imitate whatever size/type of baitfish is predominate.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:00 AM

nralover is on a distinguished road

Ahh- I thought you meant spotted bass- like this:

Spotted Bass (Micropterus punctulatus)
Old 03-28-2008, 10:03 AM

Was only referring to stripers getting large, not the hybrids....I'm not familiar with hybrids, but they look like fun to catch.

On another note - I believe I read somewhere the recored LL Striper is 125lbs