The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nevadanstig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2016, 12:23 PM

jamesdta is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a rod. Any suggestions?

Hi, I recently picked up a bohemouth 7/8 and I'm looking for a rod around 8'6 6-8 wt. I'm new at the sport, and l looking for a smallie/largemouth rod to use on my frontier 12. I purchased a echo ion 8wt 9' but didn't really care for it. I think 8'6 is my favorite length.
Closest I can find:
loomis shorestalker (8'6) 7wt
Older tfo clouser (8'9) 6wt
Ll beans clearwater ladies rod ? (8'8) 8wt

I now there's a bunch of 7'11 rods out there but I'm afraid they will feel to short. Not really much 8'6 rods

Any more suggestions?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2016, 12:34 PM

nevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking for a rod. Any suggestions?

Do you have fly shops around your area? Its best to go out and demo as many rods as you can. I have found the fly rod chooses you, not the other way around.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
fredaevans likes this.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:57 PM

jamesdta is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately I dont. There's a dicks about 10 minutes from me and a gander mountain 45 away. Not much of a selection however I did score a 5wt reddington Classic trout for $20 at dicks

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

I know what your saying though.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:41 PM

finatic is on a distinguished road

Cabelas is a good place to get your hands on a quality fly rod if there is one in reasonable distance from you. I'm from the Northeast and will drive 3 hours one way if need be. I would recommend A sage one or vps series. A little pricey, but well worth it. Lifetime warranty, fast action , and light weight. I believe they also make a shorter rod as you suggested especially for bass fishing. I use the sage ds2 9'6" 8wt. which has been discontinued but still warranted for large and small mouth bass, steelhead, salmon and brown trout. A entry level sage rod will run about $250 with the sage one around $700. It's just my opinion but, a fast action longer rod will provide you with better line and fish control. Good luck on your search!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:12 PM

onemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud ofonemississipp has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdta View Post
Unfortunately I dont. There's a dicks about 10 minutes from me and a gander mountain 45 away. Not much of a selection however I did score a 5wt reddington Classic trout for $20 at dicks

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

I know what your saying though.
That was a score!!
Old 02-22-2016, 12:48 PM

Location: Close to Regensburg, about 50 miles NNE of Munich, GERMANY
oldguide has a spectacular aura aboutoldguide has a spectacular aura about

hi all.
well, this may not be of much help, but I have a SAGE RPLXi 886-3, and I just love this rod; seems to be a quite rare rod I think, never saw another one so far. does anything from bass/pike to bonefish/permit/baby tarpon all day long. and I fully agree, I never got warm with 9ft rods in heavier weight 8 and above, just can not cast one for a full day.
bought a REDINGTON 8710-4 recently, and you may be right, the 7ft 10in feels a little short. but then I also recently got a Cabelas CGR 876-3 and I like this rod a lot. maybe not a stick for a beginner, but as suggested above, if you should have a Cabelas nearby and try out some rods, give this one a try. it is fiberglass and may not be what you are looking for, but just for the feel of it, it could be worth to try.
if you do not need a travel rod (3- or 4-piece), another option could be to buy a (cheap) 9ft 2pc blank, cut it to 8.5ft (from both ends!) and build (or have built) a one-of-a-kind fly rod for you. could be a solution if nothing else works, but I have to warn you, there is some risk in cutting a blank; if you opt for a #8 rod, you may have to start with a #7 blank. cheap IM6 blanks can be had at around $30-40.
as a beginner, I would not go for the high end stuff, unless you have lots of money to spend - you will end up there sooner or later anyway. and this is not against SAGE - I have here 4 rods of them and they are all very good (as mentioned above); just none of these is the latest (and most expensive) model.
good luck,
Wolfgang
Old 04-15-2016, 08:19 PM

mjkirshner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdta View Post
Hi, I recently picked up a bohemouth 7/8 and I'm looking for a rod around 8'6 6-8 wt. I'm new at the sport, and l looking for a smallie/largemouth rod to use on my frontier 12. I purchased a echo ion 8wt 9' but didn't really care for it. I think 8'6 is my favorite length.
Closest I can find:
loomis shorestalker (8'6) 7wt
Older tfo clouser (8'9) 6wt
Ll beans clearwater ladies rod ? (8'8) 8wt

I now there's a bunch of 7'11 rods out there but I'm afraid they will feel to short. Not really much 8'6 rods

Any more suggestions?

Thanks
If you're still looking, I would try casting a few and not let yourself be limited by a specific length. The difference between 8'-6" and 9' is not that great and if you allow yourself to consider a 9' you will vastly increase the choices available to you. I use a TFO BVK #8 with Rio 9-wt Bonefish Quickshooter for bass. I also have a 9-wt Orvis Clearwater that I use for light saltwater, and I really like it too. It is a little slower and softer than the TFO, but both rods cast really nicely. I've heard that the BVK is not as strong as other rods, but it seems to work great for bass. I sold an Echo to buy the Orvis, and while the Echo was a decent rod, I like the Orvis so much more. If you want something a little tougher than the BVK, I've heard the TFO Mangrove is good alternative. Those rods are each under $300. If you want to go higher than that, there are a lot of excellent choices.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:13 PM

nah85 is a jewel in the roughnah85 is a jewel in the roughnah85 is a jewel in the roughnah85 is a jewel in the rough

I use an 8 weight 8'4 echo edge salt. They call it a boat rod and I use it on my kayak which works out, I like it.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:12 AM

scorpion1971 will become famous soon enough

I use a 6 WT Shorestalker and really love this rod. I use it while wading and fishing from my slayer propel 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2016, 11:31 PM

spameggsandrice is on a distinguished road

Just like anything else when researching, all you can do is go by specs and numbers. The real test is holding it in your hand and taking it on a test drive. Everyone has their own personal taste, so what might be best based on 90% of the reviews might not be for you. Personal experience.

"Forget all the reasons why it won't work and believe the 1 reason why it will".