The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2016, 12:54 PM

mikew1959 is a jewel in the roughmikew1959 is a jewel in the roughmikew1959 is a jewel in the rough
Default Pre shaped cork poppers....?

Does anyone still make and sell these?
Been searching & searching and can't find any.
Want size 10 & 12...cup faced classic style.

I know about making my own and the foam ones, I want cork pre shaped.

I wish the Waspi Bream poppers were cupped faced, someone use to make them because I have a few size 12 hard foam cupped faced ones from about 15 years ago but can't
find those either now.
TIA
😏
Old 03-17-2016, 03:17 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Pre shaped cork poppers....?

Those cork bodies are hard to find, particularly that small. That's why you see the foam now. The cork quality got to be poor for popper bodies & the cost kept rising. I used to tie some tiny size 12 poppers commercially for a few fly shops using cork bodies I purchased from Wapsi, and because they got to be so bad, gave up using the cork & went to the molded foam. That was about 15 to 16 years ago. Many folks like the cork better, but what can you do?

If you're set on using cork, your best bet is buy the bottle stoppers & shape them yourself. It's time consuming, but will get you what you need as long as you're not making a lot of them. Otherwise, as you already know, cork bottle stoppers work just fine as is.

I bought some large cork bodies a few years back from an Ebay seller. I still like using cork too, but also use the various foam bodies. Sometimes you just have to go with what you can get. Sometimes the cork bodies show up on Ebay, but there's a demand for them so they're not going to be cheap unless you get lucky!
Old 03-18-2016, 07:00 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Test tube stoppers are mostly rubber now, but you can still find cork

This one is a size 5 and fits a # 2 popper hook pretty well
I've got hundreds of them

Click the image to open in full size.
bigjim5589 and fredaevans like this.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:20 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mike: If your willing to do the work to shape the cork, I have hundreds of cork bottle stoppers (wine bottle). I've been meaning to make some myself, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. If interested in shaping them yourself, send me a pm with your address and I will send you some.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:43 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Mike: If your willing to do the work to shape the cork, I have hundreds of cork bottle stoppers (wine bottle). I've been meaning to make some myself, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. If interested in shaping them yourself, send me a pm with your address and I will send you some.
Messy work but if you have a Dremmel (sp?) hand grinder its actually pretty easy. Better yet you have have to drain the wine bottle first .... actually I went to restraunts and asked them to save me corks from white wine bottles.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:30 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I think that most of us over the age of majority have a few wine corks lying around
They are hard to deal with, even the synthetic ones
The "Lefty's Bug" is an old smallmouth popper built from a wine cork with bottom cut flat
They're not fancy or difficult, but when when it come to working with wine corks, that's what you need

If anyone wants a handful of my test tube corks, feel free to send me a PM
I started out with 500 and have barely made a dent
There's only the one size ( 17mm top,13mm bottom, 22mm length)

Click the image to open in full size.
bigjim5589, mcnerney and mikew1959 like this.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:26 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I've collected some wine corks too. My intention with them is to make saltwater poppers, but haven't gotten to them as yet.

Rip, that's a great offer!

I like the Lefty's Bug myself.

I'm not sure how many bottle stopper corks I have, I've obtained them here & there over the years, but have them in several sizes. I used to spend the time shaping them, but now just go with them as they come. Simple, but they work.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Messy work but if you have a Dremmel (sp?) hand grinder its actually pretty easy. Better yet you have have to drain the wine bottle first .... actually I went to restraunts and asked them to save me corks from white wine bottles.
Fred: My plan is to take the cork down to my son's place, he has a couple different grinders that I can use, I just forgot to take them with me on the last trip.
fredaevans likes this.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:04 PM

dragon11 has a spectacular aura aboutdragon11 has a spectacular aura about

I spent a lot of time trying to locate cork in different sizes. I also spent time buying standard sizes and shaping them to how I needed them. Between the extra time and them falling apart it became frustrating.

Not to take away from advice already given but....I started tying the gartside gurlger pattern and haven't looked back since. If their tied right they act just like a popper, and can also be pulled across the surface of water like a streamer. Add to that, using foam of different thicknesses, I can easily tie them in unlimited sizes, colors and patterns. This might take away from your original goal, but it is a different option that might be worth looking at.
bigjim5589 and mcnerney like this.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:54 PM

philly will become famous soon enoughphilly will become famous soon enough

I've seen bags of cork stoppers from small to largee in the craft stores, not sure of the quality but it might be worth checking them out. When I first started tying poppers I tried cork but it was just to much work, the same with balsa. Switched to the hard foam bodies, but didn't like the results when I painted them. Finally settled on the soft foam pre-formed bodies or shaping foam cylinders with a dremel tool and/or sand paper. I can use permanent markers to color them rather than having to paint them. As already mentioned gurglers can be used as poppers. You can also make an effective popper using just a single circle or heart shape punched out of a sheet of craft foam.