The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 08:40 AM

nralover is on a distinguished road
Default Largemouth bass rod?

What makes a good largemouth rod? What would you recommend in the 200 dollar range?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:08 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Largemouth bass rod?

I have a heavy bass rod that is a 7 wt. Cabela's brand. It works just fine. I only spent $100 on it. That is all you need in my opinion. It just depends on the amount you want to spend as to the higher quality of rod and real. Some have a lifetime garuntee(my spelling stinks) on them.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:38 AM

troutminister is on a distinguished road

one of the best bass rods that i have cast is the TFO Axiom i believe that it is new this year, it runs around the 250 range i believe, it may be a little more than that, but TFO makes good rods for less money than other brands that they compare to. 6 or 7 wieghts are the usual bass size some may even go to an 8 depending on where you are fishing. The axiom that I threw was a six weight and it really was an awesome rod
Old 04-02-2008, 12:26 PM

Perhaps I can get by with the St Croix Reign 6 weight I just bought to learn on... I just figured a 7-8 weight was more appropriate for bucketmouths... I don't have alot of huge smallies where I live, but there are a few farm ponds I go to where the largemouths can get to be 5 to 8 pounds.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:34 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I like a faster rod because when it comes to setting the hook I need all the help I can get.

The TFOs are good, but I don't think most of them come with cases.

I'd look at a Cabelas LST or a used St. Croix Ultra Legend. Depending on the
size of the bass you'll want a seven- or an eight-weght.

Randy
Old 04-02-2008, 07:39 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

I with Randy on the fast/faster rod. It will give you better hook sets and help to cast the somewhat bulkier and heavier flies you'll sometimes use.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
I like a faster rod because when it comes to setting the hook I need all the help I can get.

Randy

I take it that the LST is a faster rod?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post

Randy
Setting the hook with the rod on a largemouth is askin for trouble. Y'all need to be using the strip-strike.

When you want to set the hook, strip about a foot of line hard, straight in line with the rod pointed at the fish. Bass have much harder mouths than trout, and you're trying to shove a much thicker wire into their face. Another advantage of the strip set is that if the fly comes out of the bass' mouth, its only a foot away, instead of 9'+ that a rod swing moves the fly.

For a fly rod to actually have the power to set a big fly's hook into a bass' mouth, its gotta be a 10 wt at least.

If you want a good rod for the money to throw big bass flies (bigger than your pinky), a ECHO or TFO 9wt would be a good choice.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:42 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I would save my money and get a Sage Bass rod. For $350.00 you get the custom line (which you'll need anyhow) and a case that holds the rod/reel combo.
You'll be getting an American made rod of the highest quality but more importantly, a rod that has the finest components, is tweaked perfectly for bass fishing and will more than likely retain or grow it's value.

I wish that gub'ment check would hurry up and get here! I'll 'invest' it right back into American manufacturing!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Big Cliff,

Interesting point. What I wonder about is that sometimes there might be slack in the line and just using the strip hook set won't be powerful enough, especially if the bass is far away. Also, I use a stripping basket, so when I feel a strike I can't always rely on striping in the line. When I set the hook therefore, I strip in line, but also swing the rod tip up, like tournament bass anglers. Together the line strip and and rod swing increase my hook setting power

Any thoughts?

BTW, the LST is medium fast. The St. Crois Ultra Legend is faster.

Randy