The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Uplining

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Getting multiple opinions is generally good, but the first two you got weren't much good.

Sorry. I just thought maybe having more of that first 30' weight distributed properly to turn over a big bass bug would help. I would imagine most major line manufacturers who make 6 weight bass tapers would agree.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:03 AM

fowlonthebrain is on a distinguished road

You guys will learn that I'm generally a day late, but I thought I'd put my two cents worth. When I first started, in my neck of the woods, most people uplined one size, especially for beginning casters. I was noticing recenty how much easier my son's 6wt rod casts with 7wt wf line than my 6 wt rod with 6 wt line. I have never owned a pricey rod, but the Diawas, flugers and Cortlands have all seemed to benefit from 1 size heavier line. My advise is to find a reasonably priced line 1 size heavier, and give it a try. It might work, and if it doesn't your not out much.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:50 PM

jsentell will become famous soon enoughjsentell will become famous soon enough

Castaway:

Here's an article that will give you some good information on uplining/downlining.....saves a lot of money on rods.

How To Choose the Right Fly Line Weight Fly Fishing Info Center

Regards, Jim
Old 04-16-2008, 07:49 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsentell View Post
Castaway:

Here's an article that will give you some good information on uplining/downlining.....saves a lot of money on rods.

How To Choose the Right Fly Line Weight Fly Fishing Info Center

Regards, Jim
Imagine that. I think like Lefty does. Useing more than one line weight per rod.
I thought in most bass situations, it's short quick casts. That's why Sage developed their new line of bass rods. Light and under 8' for quick throwing. The lines they sell with the rods are in grain weights and equal out to an 8 and 9w. Smallmouth and largemouth the 290G model (290 gr line for smb adn the 330G for lmb). Short fast rods with heavy lines. I guess you should use what feels good for your rod. A faster rod will cast a heavier line better than a medium or slow rod will as atested to in previous posts. If it feels good to use an 8w line on your rod, and it casts good, use it.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post

Sorry. I just thought maybe having more of that first 30' weight distributed properly to turn over a big bass bug would help. I would imagine most major line manufacturers who make 6 weight bass tapers would agree.
You took my post wrong. I was referring to the advice in the book and then the opinion he got at the shop.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:56 PM

bulldog is on a distinguished road

I have the book your talking about and my fishing bud is in the book and friends with Tim. He says to up size 1 wt for distance and 2 up for short cast. He is mainly casting a large popper. The one he makes which has a lot of wind drag. Since he wrote this book a lot of guys are using the same rod weight to line weight in the bone fish line. I would look at this if you want distance and casting in the wind. It will put it out there. I would go to your fly shop and see if they will let you give it a try. The only negative I have seen is real cold water. The line will sink on the tip. Just a thought from another small mouth guy
Old 04-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Bulldog- If you like that line's shape/performance but not how it works in cold water, I'd suggest SA's "Saltwater" line. Last I knew its the same taper but a different construction to do better in cold water.

I've got one for my 9wt Scott HP and I like it quite well. I picked it over the Bonefish version cuz I'm not always fishing it in warm water.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.