Average cost of an "upscale" rig?

nralover

Reaction score
I was talking fishing with someone at work, and he asked me what a higher end fly fishing setup cost. Being a newbie I really had no answer. My question to you folks is- what kind of setup can be had for 500.00 or so? Perhaps I can give him a better idea of the price spectrum of fly fishing...

Joe D

Reaction score
For "high end" your probably looking in the $1,200 range. Mid range I'd say is in the $300-$500 area, and low range would be anything less than $250. This is for the rod, reel and line. Still have to consider the other stuff like waders, etc.

Now that being said, high end, medium end, and low end are all relative.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi nralover,

I think Joe is pretty close on his cost for a high end outfit.

A mid-priced outfit to me would be a rod that cost $300 to $450. A Reel in the $250 to $350 range and a fly line in the $60 range. So a mid-range rod, reel and line would be in the $600 to $800 range.

A high-priced outfit would be a rod that cost $500 to $800. A reel in the $350 to $800 range and a fly line in the $60 to $100 dollar range. So a high-priced rod reel and line would be in the $900 $1,600 range or more.

Then there is the I gotta have it at any price range and you get into the $2000 to $4000 range.

Frank

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi nralover,

I just noticed that this was in the warm water section. Were you asking about a high priced outfit for warm water only or just a general question about high priced outfits? My reply included all types of fishing not just warm water.

Frank

Joe D

Reaction score
Hi nralover,

I think Joe is pretty close on his cost for a high end outfit.

A mid-priced outfit to me would be a rod that cost $300 to $450. A Reel in the $250 to $350 range and a fly line in the $60 range. So a mid-range rod, reel and line would be in the $600 to $800 range.

A high-priced outfit would be a rod that cost $500 to $800. A reel in the $350 to $800 range and a fly line in the $60 to $100 dollar range. So a high-priced rod reel and line would be in the $900 $1,600 range or more.

Then there is the I gotta have it at any price range and you get into the $2000 to $4000 range.

Frank
Frank,

If you throw in saltwater bluewater tackle I have to agree with you, but for general all around freshwater tackle you might be on the high side. Then again, we can go with a Leonard or Payne for a rod...:smile:

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Joe,

Yes it is high for a general fly fisher but it isn't hard to spend that kind of money on some saltwater and certainly on Bamboo. Check out this ad for a Howells bamboo rod. Now add a Vintage reel and you are looking at $5000.

Frank

BF438 Howells, 7'6", 2/2 Weighing 2 5/8 oz, for a 3 weight line. Serial number 5620, crafted in 1989. Carbide stripper guide, wrapped in brown thread with gold trim. Payne style grip, down-sliding cap and ring reel seat with cork insert. Includes original cloth bag and labeled aluminum tube. The rod is in mint un-fished condition with plastic on the grip. Includes paperwork from Gary to rod owner. [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif](Due to the fragility of the plastic on grip, this rod is not returnable and is not subject to our 3 day inspection period)[/FONT][/FONT] $4,400

nralover

Reaction score
Frank,

Thanks for your input. I was talking about a freshwater rig, whether it be for trout, smallmouth, or even larger fish.

wtex50

Reaction score
You can get a really quality rod for $300 - $500, a quality reel for $150 - $200 and line for $60.....Especially for warm water fishiing....put your money in the Rod (1st), Line (2nd) Reel (3rd) and you will be ok..You can even get really good reels like an Orvis BBS III for around $100. If you are a beginner stay away from Fast or Tip Action...Get you a good medium fast rod and it can handle just about anything you would want to do on warm water. Length - anywhere from 8' to 9' - 9' foot is you are on big rivers - 8' if you oare on streams....8.6' is a good compromise for a first rod...but they are getting hard to find. Get a 4 piece - it's easier to travel with and either a 5 or 6 weight rod.