The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 07:03 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default gills on a 3wt

today we tried out the 3 wt ***** creeks we bought from Steve. NAFFF's owner. the are awesome! we caught about 20 gills apiece in this local pond. it was almost just too easy. you cast and about 10 gills come and attack the fly. most were very small. caught about 4 decent ones. see a huge carp or sturgeon or something! this think looked like a pontoon boat in the middle of the pond haha. had to be like 3 to 4 feet long! so big it looked like a shark or something haha.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM

PKelly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: gills on a 3wt

George McFly,

What flies were tasty to the Ohio bluegills? I've been trying a local metroparks pond without much luck.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

at 1st I used this red butted spider I made and caught 5 or so . it floats for a second then sinks. my cousin caught 10 gills and a lil bass in 11 casts in a row! then my spider started getting refused but his didn't??? so i put on a clouser minnow. they didn't like that they were like swimming next to it thinking it was there buddy or something haha. next I put on a partridge and orange I made for the fly swap to see if it worked or not. I caught about 10 or so on that just short lil strips. then at the end I tried out a adams dry and caught 2 or 3. then we called it a day. my cousin also used a zug bug with no indicator and just stripped it wet fly style and was catching some too.they were small tho but some put up a lil fight and then some you could just manhandle. they weren't to picky today. what pond were you at?

Old 04-15-2008, 07:51 PM

PKelly is on a distinguished road

I was at Bunns lake in the Bradley Woods metropark. I started using a chartreuse popper to see if I could bring up a largemouth, then tried a yellow spider, and a #18 black ant--no luck on either. There was an air force of geese landing every so often, so I tend to think that hurt my chances.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:44 PM

geese around here too. ya if nothings working for me I throw on a gold ribbed hares ear and i usually catch something.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 PM

rh6898 is on a distinguished road

Fishing for gills with a 3 weight is a blast. It is especially nice when you hang a big one that actually makes the drag sing out.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:33 PM

wee hooker is on a distinguished road

The only thing better than Gills on a three weight is gills on a 2 wt :-)
There is something very gratifying in a few hours of tossing foam spiders on a feathery rod that is hard to match IMHO. Seems like those light rods just vibrate right down into your elbow . Brings out the kid in me instantly!
Enjoy your new toy!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:01 AM

I have enjoyed it! I have had it for 3 years or so now. this is a old thread. have caught lots of stuff with it since I bought it. smallmouth, largemouth, rock bass, blue gills, river chubs, catfish and crappie! I use it most of the summer for fishing my river. also have a 5wt tfo for summer fishing.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:38 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKelly View Post
George McFly,

What flies were tasty to the Ohio bluegills? I've been trying a local metroparks pond without much luck.
I know this is old, real old, but I use a small yellow popper. I designed one, actually selling them on eBay, that is yellow with black scales and a yellow kiptail butt on it. It is too much fun.