The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2017, 09:03 PM

karstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Warm-water Essential Flies

So I'm moving to a house on an oxbow lake here in Texas. Lake is about 12-13 feet deep at the deepest, has some natural stump and brush cover, and limited underwater vegetation thanks to carp and tilapia. I've fished the lake before many times, lived on the same lake years ago, but that was all pretty much pre-fly fishing. Lake is private water with LMB, various bluegill, black crappie, yellow bass, catfish, gar, tilapia...so the question is what are some warm water essential flies?

I've done a little fly fishing there already with some of my saltwater patterns. I've caught a few fish, but I'm really looking for some favorite freshwater patterns that I can tie or purchase. Nothing fancy, just some basics to get me started.
jgentile and dennyk like this.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 PM

dennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud of
Default Re: Warm-water Essential Flies

karstopo, starting with the bluegills, my vote is for the foam rubber leg spiders in various colors I use sizes 10-12. Probably caught more 'gills on this pattern then all the rest combined You sure have the best of both worlds down there in Texas!

Denny
kentuckysteve and karstopo like this.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:34 PM

JoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant future

This is an "easy tie" pattern, once you make the foam bodies. You can fish it as is, dress it up with eyes, feathers, etc. I make some with a cupped face by adding a sequin on the front.
You can change the angle that the hook goes thru the body so it will sit higher or lower in the water, push more water, or slide on top.
PM me your address and I'll send you some bodies.
Click the image to open in full size.
kentuckysteve, karstopo and dennyk like this.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 PM

kentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant future

I fish mostly for bass and bluegill in my local lakes and ponds.The bluegill will hit most any nymph pattern.I have had great luck with the briminator fly,brassies,zug bugs,hares ears,ptn's,grubs,caddis,prince nymph. I had a great crappie day a few weeks back using a prince nymph.
They also like beetles,ants,wooly worms and buggers,small clouser minnows,spiders,soft hackles,and bees like the mcginty.Small poppers,small hoppers and gurglers.

For the bass i do great with larger poppers and larger hoppers early morning.Larger clouser minnows and rabbit zonkers work great as the sun takes them deeper.They will also take a mouse or frog.

Damsel fly with a yarn body and deer hair wing.

Crayfish pattern

Foam dragon

Simple foam bee

Last edited by kentuckysteve; 05-17-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:04 PM

karstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
This is an "easy tie" pattern, once you make the foam bodies. You can fish it as is, dress it up with eyes, feathers, etc. I make some with a cupped face by adding a sequin on the front.
You can change the angle that the hook goes thru the body so it will sit higher or lower in the water, push more water, or slide on top.
PM me your address and I'll send you some bodies.
That's a very nice offer. I may make a stab at trying to make something like that myself before taking you up on your kind offer. I've got sheets of foam in various colors from left over from making a couple of salty patterns I found online called the disco shrimp and VIP popper. The VIP popper was made from 1.5 or 2 mm foam glued together. I made some gurglers, too. I made some Chernobyl ants, too for a freshwater trip, but never got them into action. Maybe they might work on the lake.

I like those legs. The material looks familiar, but I can't think of what it is.

Looks like poppers and surface flies are the way to go in warm water. I haven't had much luck with poppers and other floating flies in the salt. Maybe I didn't stick with tops there long enough.
dennyk likes this.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:34 AM

dennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud of

Hi karstopo, another option for bass popper heads is: www.zflyfishing.com
click on the Zudbubbler tutorial below the title. If the link does not work here ya go: www.zflyfishing.com

The legs are either rubber or what I favor is silicon, which does not dry out over time.

I use a leather sewing needle to pull the legs thru the body, once satisfied with the placement I use Zap-A Gap, just a small portion where they enter and exit.

Get yourself an 8 pack of Sharpie markers and let your creativity run wild.

Also the Fish Skull Living Eyes will adhere to the bodies with the adhesive right off the sheet no glue needed.

Denny
kentuckysteve and karstopo like this.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:49 AM

jgentile is a splendid one to beholdjgentile is a splendid one to beholdjgentile is a splendid one to beholdjgentile is a splendid one to beholdjgentile is a splendid one to beholdjgentile is a splendid one to beholdjgentile is a splendid one to behold

So many options to choose from... Since we are getting into summer as most mentioned earlier top water patterns would be first on my list. Various sized poppers for both LMB and panfish, gurglers, divers, frog like patterns, mouse patterns, hoppers, ants and beetles should cover you. If you have an old trout box hanging around there is nothing wrong with tying on an Adams or EHC to target panfish.

You will need baitfish patterns. Pick your poison here. Your salt water clousers will certainly work. If you have any Deceivers they will too. The list could be endless with any number of older traditional patterns or newer large articulated patterns. Go to YouTube type in articulated streamer and see what strikes your fancy. You can never go wrong with either the old classic Muddler or Wooly Bugger.

Since you fish the salt, you already have an 8wt or 9wt so you can handle large, bulky, and heavy flies. Consider The "Grim Reaper" It is basically the fly fishing version of the "Jig & Pig" for getting into tight spots.

And don't forget "If it ain't chartreuse, it ain't no use"
Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 AM

rocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the rough

Wooly buggers, lots of them! Most of my warmwater fishing here in Nebraska is either wooly buggers or clousers. The panfish here like gold bead hare's ears, sometimes copper johns or other nymphs, in addition to the spider/bug patterns. Also baitfish imitating streamers work very well on bass and sometimes catfish.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:06 PM

bloomagoo is a splendid one to beholdbloomagoo is a splendid one to beholdbloomagoo is a splendid one to beholdbloomagoo is a splendid one to beholdbloomagoo is a splendid one to beholdbloomagoo is a splendid one to beholdbloomagoo is a splendid one to beholdbloomagoo is a splendid one to behold

For warm water I'm thinking hoppers, woolly buggers, and clousers should cover just about 97% of your needs.
mcnerney and kentuckysteve like this.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:38 PM

JoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant future

The legs are medium round rubber legs from Troutsman/Sportsman's Warehouse. I also recommend replacement skirts from the bass casting section- they sink better and have a world of variety in color. The body is craft foam glued with contact cement, and punched out with cutters made from pieces of sharpened metal pipe. Contact cement is not the easiest glue to work with, but they DO NOT come apart.
These are tied from foam, really old fish hair and bead chain eyes.
Here's a good catalog:
Popper Swap, Fall 2011

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey