The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2008, 10:00 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default My Wife's Big BASS!!!

This was caught in the same cove that I bagged my first decent bass of the
year in a few days ago. I spotted this guy bulging right against the bank, under a pile of brush. Much to my amazement, my wife (Yvonne) hit the spot
dead on, and hauled this monster right up to the canoe's gunwale. After I
convinced her to let some line out ( ), I was able to get a hold of it before the rod tip was wrapped around the canoe's hull...LOL!!!! We had to
paddle to shore for the pic. The fish remained in the water until Yvonne was ready for the pic, and released as good as new !

A #10 Olive Wooly Bugger did the trick once again, and has been very good to
us since I began using them again this past December.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a80...YvonneBass.jpg

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:31 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: My Wife's Big BASS!!!

Frank

Sweet fish!!! Congrats to the Mrs.!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-19-2008, 10:39 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave! You're probably set with all sorts of nets, but all I have right now is
my little wading net. We've been doing at least half of our fishing from a canoe in the past year, and I really have to get a long-handled net. That bass really did dive under the canoe with about 2 feet of line out, and my
nerves are getting frayed when Yvonne does this... . The net has
to match the canoe's wooden gunwales, so I might have to drive a few extra
miles .

Yvonne caught a nice 15" LMB last year, but refused to hold it while I took
a photo. We've been fishing together since 1984, but it wasn't until last
Fall that she'd hold a fish.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Ladies 3, Gents 0.
I'm seeing a trend here....C'mon guys this is not the way to start the season, we've got to get it together!! lol

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-20-2008, 01:40 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Frank

Just about everyone is carrying the wooden handled guide nets now. Orvis LL Bean Cabelas....ect. Take good care of them and don't let them get water logged in the bottom of the boat and they last forever. Highly recommend the rubberized netting for the fishes sake.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-20-2008, 07:35 AM

fishenrg is on a distinguished road

Great fish there! Good job on typing the title of your post carefully...a slight typo and your wife might never have fished with you again! lol
Old 04-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Must be in the air. I don't target Bass, but in some of the waters I fish, they are there. Several years ago, I landed a nice 20+" out of Quail Creek....ON A 4 WEIGHT! Accident, but I netted it.
This weekend I was at the Fly Tying Expo in IF. Got done tying around 3:00 so headed over to my Nephew's. We grabbed our gear and headed to the Power Plant bye Shelly Truck Stop. I tied on Mr. Ugly on a 7 1/2' leader and an indicator right at the end so a full 7 1/2' deep. For some reason I had 4 lb tippet on this 6 wt. Windcutter line (I think from last year at Mack's Inn...wanted to just try the line thing)
Anyway, I remembered that after I had cast it out. Nothing, so I cast again. This time indicator went down. I held fast and got the line to the reel. No head shaking, but it wanted to stay down. I am thinking Carp at this point and realized I have to play it with that dang tippet!. FINALLY it came to the surface and did a tail dance. I yelled at my Nephew across the river, "Is there Bronze Backs in here?" He yelled back, Yes, why?" He then noticed my bend 6 wt. I got it up on the rock in the river I was perched on, and grabbed my tape. 19" Smallie...WAHOO! He yelled to keep it so, I reached to lip it and she threw the hook into the palm of my hand. Without thinking I pulled the hook out and realized the fish was no longer hooked. She didn't either for a minute...but then smelled the freedom fresh air and took off.
Oh well, still a blast and now I know there are bass in the Snake in Idaho Falls. I knew they were down by American Falls, but looks like they are heading north. Good Stuff, that there
Old 04-20-2008, 11:46 PM

Hey Guys and Gals ! The original title for this thread was " My Wife Caught
a Huge Bass", but then I saw the light...

Hi Joni, Before we moved awayfrom Valley Forge a year ago, smallmouth
were the fish I targeted most often (in spite of some really good trout
streams in that area). River smallies can really put up a fight, and I've been
handed my hook back many times...LOL!