The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2008, 08:17 PM

fowlonthebrain is on a distinguished road
Default Bluegills are bedding

Hey guys, went out today to the pond and did pretty well. Caught around 50 bluegills and a few bass. Kept thirty bluegill from 7.5" to a shade over 9" (the other twenty were mostly females and smaller fish). Also got a bass that was 14.5". Caught the Bluegills on Brassy Nymphs, and a Zugbug. The biggest bass also hit the Zugbug. I guess it all averages since one of the biggest Blugill hit a 1/0 Clauser minnow. Very AGRESSIVE fish today. I'll see if I can get the pics attached today (one of the Bluegill with the Clauser, and one of the bass and the biggest 7 Bluegill). I was hoping our 1st round of the spawn would start on schedule (full moon in March) and I think it has.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0130a.JPG (72.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg GetAttachment[2].jpg (15.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-20-2008, 11:44 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bluegills are bedding

Nice dark gills!

I caught about 24 on Saturday morning; took 16 home to eat. Also caught one ugly mean dude! Great fun on a 5 weight.

All these caught on my go-to fly, a #10 Bead Head Wooly Bugger, this time in brown (I usually use olive.)

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 04-21-2008, 12:06 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

took my 3wt out and caught lots too. just catch and realease but what fun! nothing of any size tho.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Hate to get preachy, but just make sure the bodies of water y'all are yanking gills from can stand to loose them. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it takes lots of sunfishes to support the bass in a given pond.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:32 AM

Nice Drum Jakeway. I've never caught one on a fly ... that's gotta be fun ... on my list to do this summer . We've got some pretty good ones in one of our creeks, if you can keep your fly/lure away from the gar.

GeorgeMcFly ... almost any pond that has a lot of good (big) Bluegill will be out of balance... ie. overstocked with bass (lots of fat 6"-10" bass and very few really skinny bigger ones) ... Something to look for. The pond I caught these in is like that. I'm lucky, out of the fifty there were less than 5 that were under 6" and most of the ones I threw back were 7-71/2". I'm the only one who fishes this pond, so I take out a few bass and around 100 blugill for the table every year ... Keeps it sustainable and "pleasantly unbalanced".

Cliff. I guess I was answering your question while you were asking it ... I'm either an unemployed wildlife biologist, or a Deputy Sheriff depending on who you ask.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:38 PM

xjguy07 is on a distinguished road

i've never had gills are they any good?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:45 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Early season gills can be very good eating. Cleaning them can be easy as well...well the way I clean them is easy. Very nice drum nice clean looking. It be nice to get out and get some gills. Been a while since I got into gills. Got to travel too far to get into them. The closest place isnt easy to get to by car and even ruffer to get a boat into it. Would be nice to get out and catch some of those. But I'm usually too busy after other fish to stop and take the time to catch them.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:47 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjguy07 View Post
i've never had gills are they any good?
I rate them right up there with the best...on a par with Walleye and Yellow Pearch, and well above crappie and bass. I could never understand how southerners go crazy over catfish...I'd rather eat a carp from a clean body of water than a catfish.

This only counts freshwater fish. I've never fished in salt water.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 04-21-2008, 10:53 PM

one of my favorite eating fish
Old 04-25-2008, 10:44 PM

HTiger is on a distinguished road

I live quite a drive from any trout water so I've been at the local park's little pond the last couple of days catching bluegills. Been using a little bead-head nymph, about a #18, and landing about a dozen fish in about an hour.

I could probably get more if I tossed the fly into the many fish congregating near the shore; but, I'm trying to get out toward the deeper water and see if I can have any luck with the larger ones...and try to learn to "feel" when a fish bites a wet fly and there's no strike indicator. I lose about one-in-five fish to not being able to sense the strike and set the hook (using hooks with crushed barbs).

It's great fun. Easy, relaxing fishing.

Here's the little boy of a close friend who joined me one afternoon and enjoyed some pond fishin'!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlexFish2.jpg (71.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg AlexFish1.JPG (84.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg AlexFisha.jpg (79.6 KB, 15 views)

And this our life, exempt from public haunt,
Finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks,
Sermons in stones, and good in everything.

- Shakespeare