The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 AM

skey000 is on a distinguished road
Default will fish eat tadpoles?

Last year while I was fishing a small stream near my house for rock bass I noticed a lot of tadpoles swimming in the area.

I was wondering will bass eat tadpoles? I have heard that trout won't because of the bitter taste. Does the same hold true for bass?

If they will eat them are their any good tadpole fly patterns? Maybe something similar to a wooly bugger?

Jeremy
Old 04-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: will fish eat tadpoles?

Hmmm, I would guess tadpoles get eaten by bass. I would make a tadpole imitation on a shorter nymph hook, prolly size 10, with thick chenille, black beadchain eyes, and a slender marabou tail.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi skey000,

You might be able to make a good tadpole imitation using Sili Skin. You could color the body and leave the tail translucent.

Frank

Sili Skin
Click the image to open in full size.

Tadpole
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:43 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

In one word to sum up the answer to your question, YES...a big YES. There are many fish that would eat a tadpole if they had the chance. Eyes, large trout, pike, musky, bass, larger pan fish. Think of it this way, they all eat frogs so tads are just a bit easier to find since they cant leave water till mature. A fat wolly may do, however most are slender and more like a leach. The patterns Frank listed would be closest that I know of. The gummy would be real easy just make it a darker color. Most amphibions when in the larva stage end up being part of a fishes food stuffs (as long as they are in water with fish in it). At times, things like bettles and dragon fly larva will feed upon larval frogs as well as larval fish. If you are looking to make a pattern, make sure you know how large the tads are in yoru area. Some tads can be big, size of a quarter or $.50 piece. A black or green poof ball with some eyes then a nice tail could prove to be an easy basic pattern for them. In all reality, I have seen tads as big as golf balls though those frogs are not around here...ever hear of the Goliath Frog?
Old 04-21-2008, 04:40 PM

panfisher1125 is on a distinguished road

YES they will we fished a farm pond saturday and i caught a 8 pound bass, and a 13.5 hybrid gill on tads
Old 04-21-2008, 07:06 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Went looking for a few patterns for you...I didnt find much but this link to a short video I thought would make everyone happy.

Girls Gone Fly Fishing Calendar Video

Here are a few links that you may want to look at as far as a tad pattern...though I think someone could come up with something a bit closer, if Storm Lures can come up with a tadpole crank we here should beable to come up with something better.

Long Shank Lures --- Trout Flies on the web, UK fly fishing patterns
http://www.fish4flies.com/Lures/Muddlers_and_Tadpoles/Hern's_Tadpole
Olive Tadpole - Fish and Fly - fly fishing news, fly fishing instruction and fly fishing video

My thoughts would be to use something like a buff ball you see in arts and craft stores then take one of those preformed tails and trim it to look like a tadpoles tail, add some eyes and your set. Though that would be tied on a bigger size 1 or 1/0 hook. A bit bigger then some of the wooly buggers seen in those links.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:01 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

sounds like good idea to me! let us know if it works

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

And how, the brook & rainbow trout in my pond gobble'em up....Weird thing is I use an all black Montana stone pattern to imitate them.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:02 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

I Love this place!!!!!!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 04-29-2008, 10:36 PM

Fox Statler will become famous soon enough

I think that tadpoles are a last choice food item. The reason I say this is, I was doing some seminars at Bass Pro in Springfield about 3 years ago. The seminars were downstairs by the large tanks. The fish were fed during my seminar. Mixed in with the minnows were a few tadpoles. Every time one of the larger fish would eat a tadpole, it would immediately spit it back out. The tadpoles died from all the rough treatment and sank to the bottom of the tank. I noticed there were several others on the bottom of the tank from previous feeding sessions. I see lots of tadpoles in my rivers also but few crawfish. I guess the fish like the crawfish better.