The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 08:21 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough
Default What is the reason for having a 7ft or a 9ft rod?

I have both. I have a 7wt 9ft and a 5wt 7ft rod. I can cast the 9ft so much better. I don't know really why I got the 7ft rod. I guess I just wanted to own two different sizes for whatever reason. Why would a person want to have a shorter rod? I live where there are no streams, so I fish alot of lakes. I do plan on getting to some streams someday. Any thoughts?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What is the reason for having a 7ft or a 9ft rod?

7 footers are good for casting when you are fishing a stream that is surrounded by trees and brush and you dont have to cast very far.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi tgoodwater2002,

Can you tell me what make and model the two rods are?

Frank
Old 04-26-2008, 08:14 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

I got them both at cabela's and I think they are both Three Forks.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:34 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have two 7'6" 4wts, but there are a lot of small (real small) streams around
me. I don't use them on lakes, however.

The difference in length may seem slight, but sometimes missing branches on a cast comes down to inches. That applies
to the line as well as the rod.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
7 footers are good for casting when you are fishing a stream that is surrounded by trees and brush and you dont have to cast very far.
Agreed. I also find that I'm more accurate with a 7' rod than with a long one when needing to put dry flies in a tight spot.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:27 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

I fish a lot of small streams and I contend that there's advantages to having each a 9' and a 7' rod...depending on the type of stream. A lot of the small streams I have fished have been willow-choked, in the bottoms of canyons. My 8'9" rod allows me to get the back cast actually above the willows and avoid hangups that way. Similarly, when there's no back cast room on these types of streams, the longer rod will allow a farther roll cast. However, I also have a 7'9" rod and it's much easier to be accurate with this shorter rod when roll casting, on any type of stream. For really small streams, just a brook running through a meadow, I like the smaller rod because accuracy is key in those situations. For the type of creek with a lot of overhanging alders and taller trees than create a canopy about 8'-9' above the water, a 9' rod is too long simply because you often can't get the rod tip verticle without wacking a tree branch, so for those types of creeks, a 7' or even a 6'6" rod would be ideal to reduce hangups in trees. For larger streams where you will need to mend line, the 8.5-9" rod is best because shorter rods are almost impossible to use for mending.

Edit: Oops, I saw this in New Posts and didn't realize it was posted in the Warmwater Fly Fishing Forum. All my small stream fishing experience has been for trout, so I don't know anything about warmwater species in these types of environments.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:09 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Whether fishing warm or cold water I think your reasoning still applies.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures