The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2005, 06:34 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Poppers ROCK!

I went out tossing poppers and had a blast.. Sight casting to LM Bass in the shallows... ( 1-3ft ) Oh man... it was a total riot.. They were crusing the shore line and once I figured out to cast 3-4 ft in front of them, it was impossible to keep them off the popper! Numerous double fish hits! 2 hours and a couple dozen bass in the range of 10" - 14"

Steve you got any more of them poppers? I could use some more..
Old 05-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Poppers ROCK!

I had fun with poppers saturday myself. I was fishing the Blanco river and got to where I could fish them blind, meaning listen and wait through the small pops, and then set the hook on the big ones that means they got it. These were mostly sunfish.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:41 PM

lewis wayne dunlap will become famous soon enoughlewis wayne dunlap will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Poppers ROCK!

I'm new to the forum and would like to know where and what kind of poppers you are using? I live in Florida and do alot of popper fishing for brim. Tie my own poppers and willing to learn a few tricks.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:20 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I was just throwing store bought poppers I got from Steve at one of the local ponds..
Old 06-07-2005, 07:27 PM

Cliff Hilbert will become famous soon enoughCliff Hilbert will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis wayne dunlap
I'm new to the forum and would like to know where and what kind of poppers you are using? I live in Florida and do alot of popper fishing for brim. Tie my own poppers and willing to learn a few tricks.
Hi Lewis, I use Peck's #1 Popping Minnows for largemouth bass and have caught literally thousands of bass on them over the years. In the past 1 1/2 years while fishing on Lake Fork I've caught a 9# and 7.9# bass on these popping bugs. They have been around for many years and still are great producers. I rarely use poppers for bream because bream feed mainly on insect larvae and pupae under the water. Instead I use trout nymphs. I wrote an article on bream fishing which is on this website, read it when you get a chance and you'll find it very helpful.

LSU TIGERS!
Old 06-08-2005, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I tied up the poppers I was using that day. They were chartruese and black and I used Rainy's mini sized foam bodies for the body. Basically just a popper body, charteuse grizzly hackle tail, black rubber legs, and the same hackle wrapped behind the body. I put the foam body on first and then add a thin coat of Loon's hard head cement. I add the hard head to seal it up, to add some durability, and to add some shine to it (like a frog's belly). I tie in the rubber legs along the hook shank behind the body, rather than going through it.

These poppers are actually a little too big for most small sunfish, but I like it that way. It reduces harming the fish that need to grow some more.

Lots of hooks will work on poppers like this, but be sure to choose one that allows a big enough gap between the point and the body to hook the fish. I usually don't use "dry fly" hooks, because I don't want it to bend out of shape easily. Hooks with a "straight eye" or "ring eye" will be much easier to get into the popper body in a hurry before the super glue sets up.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.