The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 10:51 PM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road
Default crawfish anyone?

I have always heard bass eat crawfish and have even caught a few on small lure (crankbait) imitations when I used to spinfish. My question is does anyone know (for certain) if bass/pike eat the larger crawfish. I assume the exoskeleton gets harder as they grow/age and when they are smaller it might be softer? The reason I ask is I tied up some real big patterns (aprox. 4inches) from rabbit strip that look real cool, I was just curious if anyone knew if fish will actually prey on the larger crawfish. Haven't had a chance to try them out but am pretty excited about it. Do trout eat crawfish? Larger ones too? (would a 20+" rainbow/brown take a 3-4inch crawfish imitation?)
Old 05-23-2008, 11:21 AM

fishenrg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: crawfish anyone?

I couldn't say for certain but I would say a 4 inch is probably just fine. In my other (non-fly fishing) life I have caught plenty of pike, bass and walleye on crankbaits exceeding 4 inches that imitate crawfish. Pike don't discriminate much on the best of days anyway!

I've never caught a trout on a crawfish imitation but if they are present I would imagine that they would take advantage of them!
Old 05-23-2008, 04:06 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Yes trout of that size will take crayfish of that size, go for it!

Dan
Old 05-23-2008, 04:28 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

Could i get that pattern? We have crayfish in a river near my house and i would like to try it out, but i haven't found a crayfish pattern i liked.

John
Old 05-27-2008, 11:54 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I have a couple of crawfish flies..but don't know for sure how to use them on a lake. Would you just put lead on them to get them to the bottom, and just twitch the rod now and then, or do you slowly strip them in, or what? (I am a newbie, so have mercy please...hehehe)
Old 05-28-2008, 03:01 AM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road

jclamp: the pattern is almost completely rabbit strip. streamer hook (any size you want) with led wraps for weight. tie in two strands of brown/orange or tan chenile? (what you use for a san jaun worm) for antenea just before the bend of the hook. Tie in two strands of rabbit slightly shorter than the antenae (any color you wish. brown/orange/rust) as the claws. then wrap another piece of rabbit up the shank. I've also added multiple pieces of rubber insect legs in amongst the rabbit to represent the legs of a crawfish too. Its a very simple pattern and not sure if it even works but I'm excited about it nonetheless.
Kelkay, I'm sure you could fish it any way you'd like. I've only fished crayfish patterns when sitefishing. Cast a few feet from the fish and let it sink to the bottom as he approaches take one long strip when the fish is in striking distance then let it sink again. That first initial flee of the fly usually gets a reaction. If it doesn't but the fish remains interested take a smaller strip the next time the fish gets close so the fish doesn't have to work as hard. I'll let you know how it works when I finally test it out. If you end up tying something similar and it works please let me know.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:36 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

The best crawfish pattern i have seen is clouser crawfish. here on pine there are literly thousands, and the bass and trout know it..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the pattern. i plan on trying to tie one and fish it ASAP.

John
Old 05-28-2008, 10:23 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I did not make the two patterns of crawfish I have, I bought them. I do however make flies, and started making them in mid Jan or so. I have tried to use the crawfish but I must not of done so that looked realistic to the fish...movement wise....
Old 05-28-2008, 12:45 PM

wlb06 is on a distinguished road

I fish a river in NC where trout average about 10-12" and I decided to try a crawfish streamer. So far I have gotten action everytime ive pulled it out of the box. I bought 2 and lost one to a trout that musta been larger than that average size.

So yes, trout love em.