The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2008, 06:19 AM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road
Default just because...

I was wondering if anyone has ever caught a coi (spelling?) on a fly rod? You know, the 10lb goldfish? If anyone has ever caught one or even had one on (not snagged) I'm curious of what type of fly you used? I was also wondering if anyone knew of any good flies for grass carp. I know the "common" carp is most often stalked by fly fisherman and I'm aware of many of the flies used for them but can you take a grass carp on a fly? Is it just a puff of marabou that looks like vegetation? Any input would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:48 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough
Default Re: just because...

A buddy of mine has a bunch of grass carp in his pond, which I try to take every summer with a fly rod. I have had no luck, not even a glance at anything I throw, including grass. I was told that his brother hooked one once, but I don't know what he used, and it may be a tall tale.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:59 PM

Well my "grass" fly had mixed results over the weekend. Although It apeared to get a few glances from the grass carp, I didn't have any takers. BUT... something even cooler happened. I caught a largemouth bass on my grass fly. I saw him in the shallows (originally thought he was a carp) but spooked him about 10ft. Decided to throw at him anyway. The fly landed about 3 ft from him and slightly to the fish's left. He immediately turned on the fly and with no hesitation took it. The final result... I landed my first fish on nothing more than some grass tied on a hook with some thread.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:08 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Check out this thread by MarshallD Fly Rodding Miami Peacock Bass and a Bonus Fish!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-26-2008, 09:59 PM

I had heard that some people have had some luck with berries/imitations but unfortunately there are no trees along the banks. Might work in some of the other ponds around town though. Thanks for that aritcle.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:48 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

You mentioned berries... I don't know if they will work for grass carp; but, for regular carp we do very well when the mulberries start dropping...We have even taken a carp or two on a dry mulberry pattern...

Dan
Old 05-28-2008, 05:54 AM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

Davo, thanks for the thread on the berries and carp. That's something I will be trying at my friends pond next time I visit. Now I need to look up how to tie a berry fly.