The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2008, 06:14 PM

WillieU87 is on a distinguished road
Default Which Flyline?

Hey All!

New hear. Looks like a great place. I have been fishing for both bass and bluegills for a couple of years. I have been doing ok, but would like to enhance the number of catches. I only have floating flyline and so far only use topwater flies. Can I do better with a sinking style line? I am also wondering about wet flies. It seems like they would be "snags" waiting to happen with the shallow water that I fish. Thoughts? Thanks for the input!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Which Flyline?

You say you fish shallow water so try just lengthening your leader and using lead either on the flies or as splitshot to get the flies in the zone.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Willie,

Jackster has given you some good advise. You can also use wet or sinking flies. They will sink slowly and are very effective. If you wet your subsurface flies before you use them they should sink. You can also add some Xink to your flies and the tippet. This will aid the fly to break the surface tension and sink.

One of my favorite flies for this type of fishing is a #12 or #14 woolly worm with just a wrap or two of lead wire or with no weight and some Xink. The Woolly Worm is a much over looked fly these days. Before the Woolly Bugger came along it was a very popular and deadly fly.

Frank

Gehrke's Xink
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:00 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

I personally only use floating lines right now, and almost never fish on the surface. I throw a variety of small streamers and what is called a cap spider. tied on a 1/80 jig head with ultra chenille body and rubber legs. Search cap spider on youtube and there is a nice video of Mike Verduin tying it.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:48 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Thanks, Frank. I'll have to try the Xink.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 06-25-2008, 02:57 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

rio offers some leaders that are advertised to sink a bit too. another combo to try would be a sink tip line. you could get a cortland 333 sink tip line for about $35. they come in various rates of sink.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:39 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

A flourocarbon tippet will help your fly sink faster. I use either that or mono for warm water fly fishing.