bluegill 20 me 2

freeze69

Reaction score
Spent first true day out with the flyrod. :fishing: Missed all but my last 2.
Quit after I accidently hooked my brother-in-law/fishing partner. :stretcher He said he wasn't mad at least. He just can't wait to get his own flyrod to practice with me. :thumbsup: Had fun though learned alot on the water. All in all though we put about 30 gills in the livewell and who knows how many more released. Can't wait till next weekend to go out again.

Fish Bones

Reaction score
20 to 2... hmmm... at least you got a safety. Keep at it... you'll get it.:shades:

freeze69

Reaction score
Planning on going out again next weekend. Gonna try a different lake and hope brother-in-law has his and stays still. Hope for a better score. Maybe more than a safety.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
were you throwing subsurface or poppers? For a beginner you might wanna try nymphs and try down sizing 1-2 hook sizes.. Might increase the score.

freeze69

Reaction score
Was throwing a small popper in yellow and black. (about size 10 or 12) Most of the ones that I missed were small. The others just from lack of experience. (trying to set the hook to early) I think that with time the score will get better. Not sure how many we missed on regular bait. (bee-moths) The fishing so far in Northern Indiana has been :banned: to say the least. Still 0 for 3 with bass. 2 missed on spinners and one this weekend on ultralight under the boat. This on a lake that I usually have caught 20-40 keepers. Not Indiana's size limit for my area. (14in) Me and the brother-in-law only count anything over 18in. as keepers. (let the little ones grow up)

Outdoorarki

Reaction score
Here in AR it is legal to use 2 flys on a line. I usually put on a popper with a bream killer or some kinda nymph below the popper.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I'm thinking some hook sharpening would help quite a bit. I'm not saying that because you were missing blue gill, but because you were also missing bass with a spinning rod. The hook needs to be sharp enough to catch on your fingernail when slid down it at roughly a 45 degree angle. A cheap file will do the job, and you'll be glad you bothered to sharpen the hooks.

Jakeway

Reaction score
You should definately try a nymph. I had used small poppers and rubber spiders exclusively for years, then a couple years ago I started using a nymph on an 18" dropper below the popper. I found I caught 4 out of 5 fish on the nymph vs the popper, the nymph was inhaled more often, and the fish were a larger average size. Bigger bluegills tend to be deeper, and the nymph will get down there.

The pattern doesn't seem to matter. I've used Pheasant Tails and Hare's Ears mostly, though lately I've been killing them with #10 Bead Head Wooly Buggers in Olive, Brown, or Black. The Wooly Buggers usually pick up a small bass or two; yesterday I caught two largemouth and a smallmouth, along with a half dozen bluegills, during a 30 minute luch break casting from shore.