The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 11:53 AM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road
Default bass popper madness

Well the pond in my apt. complex is a lot of fun to fish for little bass but last night I was getting ready to leave and stripping the popper in towards the shore when the water just errupted. I thought it was a huge bass, the biggest before that being only about 2lbs (small pond), turns out it was a catfish. As ugly as they are it put up a real fun fight. Has anyone else had a catfish hit a topwater fly before? Granted, the fly was close to shore so it only had to swim about 2ft to the surface but still, I had no idea one would hit topwater.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: bass popper madness

Hi liv2fish,

Catfish will take just about anything they might think is good to eat. Top water is a bit unusual but the water was shallow enough that it didn't have to expend much energy to take a taste.

Frank
Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Account on hold

kais 4795 is on a distinguished road

Nice story. I don't think that many people can claim to have caught a cat on a popper, let alone a fly. I wish I could have seen that. Awesome.
Kais
Onetoomanyhobbies.com
Old 06-14-2008, 12:46 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Up here in central PA, I catch channel cats all the time with flies.
In the Susquehanna with all this extreme heat the fish hide in the shade and only feed at night.
A White Miller hatch almost every night until the end of August has all the smallmouth, rockbass, and cats feeding on the flies after dark.
I catch a lot of catfish with topwater drys. Actually, they are more prevalent then the bass.
Tonight I caught quite a few channel cats with a flyrod. I wade to the middle of the river and I can see the fish all around me gorging themselves on the abundant white flys. I can see their fins out of the water sipping the bugs....... I just put my dry in front of them and hold on to my rod!!
I use my 8wt with a floating line and a size 10 White Miller (I make my own with a foam body and lot's of hackle)
The catfish are stocked and now outnumber the smallmouth 10 to 1.
Lot's of fun with a flyrod.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 06-15-2008, 10:29 AM

dead fly is on a distinguished road

Never cought one on a popper before. But did catch one on a mickey finn on first cast. It coudn;t have been two inches under at the time. As I could still see the fly, and acually seen it hit. That was one fun fight....
Old 06-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Account on hold

kais 4795 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRichardFly View Post
Up here in central PA, I catch channel cats all the time with flies.
In the Susquehanna with all this extreme heat the fish hide in the shade and only feed at night.
A White Miller hatch almost every night until the end of August has all the smallmouth, rockbass, and cats feeding on the flies after dark.
I catch a lot of catfish with topwater drys. Actually, they are more prevalent then the bass.
Tonight I caught quite a few channel cats with a flyrod. I wade to the middle of the river and I can see the fish all around me gorging themselves on the abundant white flys. I can see their fins out of the water sipping the bugs....... I just put my dry in front of them and hold on to my rod!!
I use my 8wt with a floating line and a size 10 White Miller (I make my own with a foam body and lot's of hackle)
The catfish are stocked and now outnumber the smallmouth 10 to 1.
Lot's of fun with a flyrod.
That sounds like a blast. I am going to have to try it. How big are the fish you are catching? Thanks for the awesome tip. I am getting pumped just thinking about it.
Kais
Onetoomanyhobbies.com
Old 06-17-2008, 12:20 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Re: bass popper madness

I got invited to a local club fish fry near a private pond with lots of cats. I asked what flys and the response was "...brown purina bugger or Science nugget nymphs..." He didn't want to share the pattern but said they were commercially available... I just couldn't make it.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:38 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kais 4795 View Post
That sounds like a blast. I am going to have to try it. How big are the fish you are catching? Thanks for the awesome tip. I am getting pumped just thinking about it.
Kais
Onetoomanyhobbies.com
Most of the channel cats are small, but with a flyrod it's a blast. Some are huge!! I've caught several over 5lbs and a 10lb carp. LOL
The smallmouth bass are decreasing in the heavenly Susquehanna and I won't get sick about it any more.
Someone on this site posted a story about how we have to take what is available and not get sick for not fishing in Montana with drys for wild trout! I'm a fisherman and I like to catch, so I'll take what I can get. I C&R anyway, so I really like the action.
The smallest cat fights better than the biggest trout I ever caught.
I use a 8wt with intermediate or floating line. A couple huge carp pulled all my line and went into the backing........ almost broke my 8wt. I use that rod for stripers in the surf, but a big channel fights better than a striper any day.
Click the image to open in full size.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 07-11-2008, 02:14 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

What fly did you catch the carp on?
Old 07-11-2008, 02:19 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

I've never caught a catfish on a fly, but I remember throwing pieces of bread off the dock at a local lake as a kid and seeing catfish rising to the surface like koi to eat it. So I definitely believe these fish are opportunistic.

I'd also be interested in the specific flies you all use for cats and carp.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.