The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 08:17 AM

Joey W is on a distinguished road
Default float tubing lakes and snakes

planning on doing some float tubing this weekend in a nearby lake and i'll have to admit, i'm a little nervous about snakes. i've done a little research and can't really find much info on this..

any of you guys know how big of a problem snakes can be while floating?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: float tubing lakes and snakes

Hi Joey,

We need to know where you are fishing.

Frank
Old 06-11-2008, 11:23 AM

northwest georgia lakes - conasaga, antioch, heath
Old 06-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Joey,

Here is a link about Cottonmouth snakes. At the bottom of the page is a map that shows the range of Cottonmouth Snakes. They are the ones that I would be concerned with. I have heard stories of how aggressive these snakes can be.

You are saying float tubing and I don't have the, you know what, to do that. I would not feel comfortable with my legs down in water that may have snakes or alligators. One thing about Cottonmouth Snakes is they are on top of the water with most of their body when they swim. So you should see them coming. You might want to carry a revolver. That would increase my comfort zone.

It is going to come down on how you feel. I wouldn't be comfortable but that is just me. If there are gators then it would definitely be a no for me.

Frank
Old 06-11-2008, 12:45 PM

thanks frank. i grew up fishing and swimming in lakes and rivers around here..and i've seen my far share of nasty snakes but they've never bothered my until now. i must be getting older!!

thanks agian
Old 06-11-2008, 08:36 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

I think your biggest problem would be at night not during the day. My only bad snake experience was I was out about 3 a.m. in a row boat and left the oars in the water. The snake was coming along and went right up the oar, probably not realizing I was a boat and not an island with a branch into the water. I used the oar to toss the critter back in the water. And, as stated, snakes have an air bladder and pretty much float on the surface- pretty easy to spot.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

While stationed at Tyndall AFB I went bass fishing with a friend that had a flat bottom boat, we were in a typical swampy area and we spotted a cotton mouth swimming directly at the boat. The sides of the boat were only 8-10" off the water so we fired up the engine and got the heck out of there.

Larry
Old 06-12-2008, 10:17 AM

macknnc is on a distinguished road

I used to wade fish the rivers and streams of eastern North Carolina and South Carolina a good bit...saw quite a few snakes, and one gator, (pretty rare in NC, a bit less so in SC, but still not particularly common), but no problems. This was all day fishing though, and I think cottonmouths would be a bigger problem at night.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:00 PM

appreciate all the feedback guys. i'm going in the morning to give it a shot. i'll post a report. if you don't hear from me again, assume the worst!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:16 AM

jrsjd is on a distinguished road

I live in North Florida and have personally shot about 12 to 14 mocassins which were aggressive to me. The largest one (big around as my arm) came after me in a canoe and I had to move from a canal out into a lake and anchored three times before it quit following me. I do not like them - the nastiest sight I ever saw with them was one swimming with a full size brim sideways in its mouth. I have also been stalked by gators while wading. Good old Florida: gators, rattlers, moccasins, coral snakes, wild hogs, bears, burmese pythons, crocs, poisonous tree frogs, and sharks to name a few. Fishing is great though. Come on down! No, I would never use a float tube in Florida or Georgia for that matter except maybe in the north Georgia mountains (look out for those copperheads).