The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   bream were too deep (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/4672-bream-were-too-deep.html)

Joey W 06-15-2008 09:36 AM

bream were too deep

ok guys, i went fishing yesterday and hit a snag (no pun intended). to keep it short and get right to the point, i found some nice bream but just couldn't get down to them. a guy fishing from the bank with crickets and a float was fishing maybe 2 feet deep, and he absolutely killed them.

i was using nymphs and adding a little weight, but never got one bite..so i'm assuming i just wasn't getting down to the fish (bream will hit nymphs, right??). i was using a floating line, but added a little extra tippet..

any of you guys run into this problem? any pointers or tips?

i'm still new to this whole thing so any advice is greatly appreciated.

dead fly 06-15-2008 10:23 AM

Re: bream were too deep

I'd rty streamers, as they do like minoes, wolly buggers work great too.

Joey W 06-15-2008 10:36 AM

thanks for the reply

i tried black and olive wolly bugger and a minnow streamer with no luck. i think i just wasn't getting down far enough..

dead fly 06-15-2008 01:28 PM

Maybe not. Were you fishing from the shore, or wadding? I like to wade just because I can get to many more places not avalible from shore. Last few days have been bad though. The rain has risen up the water level a few feet. So I guess really I am in a simular situation... I'm thinking of picking up a sinking line to see how that helps me.

CzechNymph 06-15-2008 03:13 PM

I don't think not getting deep enough is the problem. I fish for them with different nymphs up to 4' down with a floating line. I am using 6lb Seaguar for a "leader" and put a little splitshot between my two flies.
If the "cricket guy" was getting them in 2 fow, it may have been the nymph they did not want.
But who knows?

Good luck next time

pneumatic 06-15-2008 03:28 PM

I just got back from what I wanted to be "casting practice at the lake" but it turned into "catch a fish on every cast".

#10 bead head wooly bugger, black

All of the catching got in the way of my fishing practice.

Joey W 06-15-2008 09:01 PM

gratz pneumatic, sounds like you had a blast..

dead fly,
i was wading. wading is one of my favorite parts :)

i guess it could have been any number of things..

it does seem i need to get deeper with my flies, just based
on the reading i've been doing on panfish..might have to invest
in the sink tip line after all..

thanks again guys for the replies

racine 06-17-2008 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pneumatic (Post 30647)
I just got back from what I wanted to be "casting practice at the lake" but it turned into "catch a fish on every cast".

#10 bead head wooly bugger, black

All of the catching got in the way of my fishing practice.

Ditto here, I was just trying to unwind for 10 minutes that turned into 1 & 1/2 hrs and I lost count after 30. Brim are finicky and sometimes won't touch your fly other times are just like above. I was using a #14 green wooly bugger with some crystal flash and I just couldn't see after a while. For me it takes trial and error on brim to catch a few and sometimes you can catch them on anything wet/dry/nymph/popper. Sometimes they hit hard and others they just play with your fly...