The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 03:49 AM

Offshore is on a distinguished road
Default Pike on the fly from 7 acre lake

Thought I'd share this with you guys... its from September 7th this year...

You sometimes get that feeling in your water that the day is going to be good... not often as we would like BUT I just had to leave work early today.

1600 hrs and I was away from the desk and by 1700 hrs almost at the lake... My hollow tie was deployed in several marks but all failed to attract... BUT I knew I was in the wrong place! As the sun started to dip I decided to go to a mark where I'd lost a reasonable pike previously and decided to play hardball... I knew that I'd scored in this mark with dark flies... black or olive and decided to use one of my pal, Simon Graham's ties. Simon has become a great pal over the ether and we occasionally phone each other to chew the fat...

I have digressed the tube fly... very wet at the moment is an olive raccoon tail, gold flash and brown raccoon head with a gold conehead... I armed it with a Sakuma Manta 2/0...

I cast into a mark where I'd had a loss earlier this year casting beyond the lilies and bringing the fly back on both sides of the V... Nothing was doing. However there is another slot in the lilies 6ft away but a difficult cast... more a back cast between the shrubbery and cast to the open water but then cast it onto the corner of the small lily pads... hopping it over the top of them and then dropping it into the water. Second cast and as it just dropped into the water a bait fish went vertical and with a boil of the water I was in...

Boy did this fish run for open water... a strong fish that I was keen to subdue quickly and get back in quickly... My newly built rod, the self built Harrison Lohric 9' 9# was perfection itself and at no point did I feel out of control...

So between my pal Simon Graham and my friends Steve Harrison and Mike Helliwell at Harrison Advanced Rods in Liverpool I banked a personal best at 16lb... (may not be big by some standards BUT I've worked this lake hard in all weathers to winkle this fish out... I've fly fished it through the winter breaking ice at times!)

The photos are from the phone (HTC could do better on the camera side of things!)... and thanks to the lad who took the photos (don't know who he was but earlier he'd asked if he could watch me as he'd a) never seen anyone fly fish for pike and b) he'd never seen a pike)!

Click the image to open in full size.

and this is the fly my sent over from Finland... (Simon Graham is a guide and runs an outfit called Baltic Pike Flies)

BUG_BOND
Old 09-16-2010, 04:35 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Re: Pike on the fly from 7 acre lake

Wow what a beauty! Looks like he may have gotten somewhat of a payback.
Nice report, fish, and fly.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattech89 View Post
Looks like he may have gotten somewhat of a payback.
A small nick in the top of my left index finger and I bled like a stuck pig!

BUG_BOND
Old 09-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Offshore,

That is a nice Pike. We use to catch them about that size (10lbs to 16lbs} at Minto Flats out side of Fairbanks, Ak. I never saw any bigger but there was a lot of them. You did good.

Frank
Old 09-16-2010, 08:33 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

Nice fish, and a great way to get it... the more effort that goes into each action, the more memorable the outcome!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Offshore, congrats on the nice Pike; very healthy looking fish. How long is the fly? It looks like it would be a good pattern.

Dan
Old 09-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quite a fish for a lake that size.

Tell Simon that cousin Cliff sez he ties good stuff.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:28 AM

MacFly55 will become famous soon enoughMacFly55 will become famous soon enough

Awesome post and pictures... looks like he was a handful and then some...

MacFly
Old 09-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Offshore: Great report and photos of a fantastic Pike, congrats!

Larry
Old 09-17-2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks guys... Dan the fly is about 2-3 inches long....

All the sweeter as it was the first rod I ever built myself!!

BUG_BOND