The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 01:23 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough
Default Susquehanna cats with a flyrod 6/26 & 6/27

I've been having such a wonderful time with the channel cats at dusk and after dark. The smallmouth bass are in a decline, but that doesn't stop me from having some fishing fun.
Sometimes my 5wt Sage FLi with Mastery invis sink tip line, and sometimes my Orvis 8wt Clearwater II with Orvis clear intermediate.
I've been catchin' over a dozen nice cats every time I go out! and usually a few rockbass as well.
A couple weeks ago I tried my spin rod with a floating Rapala and caught the same amount. Then I tried a slip bobber with liver and even live minnows and caught a little over a dozen.
A flyrod with the streamers I tie myself is the best thrill fishing has to offer. IMHO! The cats will hit a woolybugger just as good as they will hit a live minnow!!
I think that they stock the channel cats in the Susquehanna. Strange........ and they also stock the walleyes. The smallmouth bass are native and they don't stock them....... to my knowledge.
Maybe not trout, but good enough for me.
A channel cat over 20" is way too much for a 5wt! I've caught some huge cats that pull all the line on my 8wt and go deep into the backing!! This just might become the "poor mans salmon"
A "incident" for me last week, but I can't let that spoil my flyfishing fun.
My longrodding friends, if the trout streams are almost dried up..... try the warmwater near you.... you just might be suprised!

Click the image to open in full size.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 06-28-2008, 05:18 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Susquehanna cats with a flyrod 6/26 & 6/27

Thats a first, nice pictures, thanks for posting them.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:27 PM

CzechNymph is on a distinguished road

I wish I could get into them as much as you.
Only caught one accidentally in 4 or 5 years of fly fishing here in southern Michigan, it was less then 20" and I had my 6wt Sage and man what a blast.
I only wish I knew of some "special" fly for cats. I think I would spent most of my time in the summer chasing them. Hey, maybe I should try one of those catfish stink scents they sell for catfish bait and dip some wooly buggers in it.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:26 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

Search for the Cat's Whisker fly on Warm Water Fly Fishing - Home. That thing will catch ANYTHING!
Old 06-29-2008, 03:38 PM

Bruce is on a distinguished road

I've fished the Susquehanna many times. I live in Cumberland County near Newville. The nice thing about the river is that you just never know what you're going to catch. I've fished the white fly hatch and caught more bass than you could carry and then near dark the big cats come out and start slurping the white flies. I hooked something last year on a #12 white fly that I never got to see. It may have been a big cat but when it realized it was hooked it just started accross the river and there was no turning it. I was using a 9' with an 8wt line. Lots of opportunities on the river.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 AM

darkcahill is on a distinguished road

The fly that I use for Cats is a DDH Leech. This fly has caught my biggest Cat to date which is 40 inches on the bean. Not only does it take Cats but it has caught 73 different species of fish so far. It is a grat pattern. Best producing color is brown then olive, then black. A 36 incher on the DDH.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Account on hold

kais 4795 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcahill View Post
The fly that I use for Cats is a DDH Leech. This fly has caught my biggest Cat to date which is 40 inches on the bean. Not only does it take Cats but it has caught 73 different species of fish so far. It is a grat pattern. Best producing color is brown then olive, then black. A 36 incher on the DDH.

Wow! What an awesome cat. Do you fish for them mostly at day or night? Obvously the picture was taken in the daytime. Also, do you sink the line? I have got to figure out how to catch some of these. I have several lakes near with nice channel cats and want to give it a try.
Kais
Hobbies Hunting Fishing Hiking Shed Antlers
Old 07-03-2008, 01:53 PM

darkcahill is on a distinguished road

Most of the time I use a Rio sink tip line. The sinking portion of the line is 15 ft. long and enables me to fish up to 12-15 ft. in depth. I always fish during daylight hours. In May my fishing day usually starts at 9:00 a.m. and I will fish until about 4:00 p.m. The reason being is the water temp. is still in the high 40's or low 50's. Once June rolls around it's early morning and/or late evening. Up here it gets light out at 4:30 a.m. and dark at 10-10:30 p.m. Makes for a long day. But as you can see it does have its rewards.