The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 02:17 PM

rausch51 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rausch51
Default matching line wt. and rod wt.

I've read and heard conflicting opinions about overloading line weight.

Guys like Tim Holschlag and Larry Dahlberg recommend going up at least one line weight (7 wt. line on a 6 wt. rod.) They say, especially with bass bug tapers, this helps move big flies through the air.

The owner of the local fly shop completely disagrees. He claims that there is no advantage, and can actually make casting more difficult.

Anybody with first hand experience care to share some knowledge...
Old 07-07-2008, 04:39 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: matching line wt. and rod wt.

I think it all depends on the rod chosen. The rod I use most is a 10 ft 6 wt Z-Axis. I tried a 6 wt line on it and it didn't cast right so I tried a 7 wt line and it started casting unbelievably.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:37 AM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

I read that for every large batch of a particular weight rod that is made, you might find a certain number of rods that are one wight above and/or one weight below the set weight. I'm sure the better rod manufacturers are more accurate, but the point is, it depends on the rod. For the most part, I think that your local fly shop guy is correct, even based on probability, but there are rods that are meant to be overloaded by .5 or 1 weight line. There are also lines that are more like weight+.5, so it also depends on the lines used. I have a 5 weight line that I bought on sale (brand not known) and a Cortland 5 wt line. When I fish each with the same rod and reel (I have two spools), I notice a big difference. Some folks can feel when a rod feels underlined, so they move up a line or use a different brand line that they know it is more like a plus .5 weight, etc.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rausch,

There are so many variables that I don't think I would say one size over is better as a general rule. It has to do with the flex of your rod, your ability to speed up or slow down your timing, the line you are using, how far you want to cast, the size of your fly and probably other considerations. Extra fast rods usually work better over lined than slow action rods. If I had a real slow action rod I don't think it would work well being over lined too much.

I have said it before but I think over lining rods should be left to more experienced casters who understands when a rod, line and fly are working in harmony. The weight of the fly line and how much you have out the tip effects the result. If I am casting for distance and have an extra fast action rod I don't want to load the rod to a point that I lose the advantage of having an extra fast action. It is all a matter of balancing your rod, fly line and fly to achieve a desired result.

Frank
Old 07-11-2008, 07:58 PM

rausch51 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rausch51

Thanks for the replies!