Carp flies?

Red Owl

Reaction score
I was just reading some stuff about George Harvey and he thought taking a carp on a fly was great sport. I have some grass carp in the shallows where I live and I thought, hey- never even thought about it.
Anyone fish for carp? What kind of flies? Thanks for any and all info.

Joni

Reaction score
I have really been getting into it lately. Like you, there is a river within walking distance. Full of grass and tuff getting line in the water, but I found a great little spot.
I have spent an hour on the river one day last week and this week and I have HOOK probably 30. I lost several at first as I mainly use 6 lb fluoro. Realized that was cutting it I found a roll of Mirage 3X (9.7 lb) and my land luck changed big time.

the flies I have caught bass on are a #12 bead head Prince on the lake and on the river, RAINY'S Carp collection - the Carp Hex and the Popcorn ball. I have caught most on the popcorn ball and a real easy tie.

Here is one from the lake:

philthy

Reaction score
My son caught one Sunday at the San Juan in a back slough. Believe it or not, on a size 20 parachute BWO...LOL! We may tie some flies specifically for them. Those are some great looking bugs, Joni! Got a recipe for the popcorn ball?

Phil

Joni

Reaction score
Best I can give you is, the closest hook is Gamakatsu 13006 #8
Just Yellow Crystal Chenille wrapped in a ball and White Softhackle collar.
Easy to tie.
If you have trouble finding Crystal Chenille in Yellow which I did, I bought some Ice Dubbing in Hot Yellow and made a dubbing loop.

philthy

Reaction score
Thanks a million! I'll have to see what I can find. James caught a chunky 18" bow this Sunday on of all things, a PURPLE parachute adams! He bought it in West Yellowstone a few weeks back and this fish absolutely inhaled it. Gotta find some purple dubbing now.

While we were up there, a local shop was getting rid of all their Sage rods and I got him a Sage Launch 590-4 and treated myself to a 490-4 ZXL as a replacement for the TXL I had stolen. 35% off! Almost 900 bucks worth of rods for about 550. There's also a Lamson Lightspeed 1.5 in the mail coming to me. 195 bucks for that from flyshopcloseouts.com . I really really gotta lay off the deals that are too good to pass up LOL.

tgoodwater2002

Reaction score
I have never deliberatly fished for carp. I tried to catch some I seen along the bank and failed. My question is how do you work the flys to catch carp? Do you just let the flys sit on top or bottom and wait or do you kinda jig fish them?

Joni

Reaction score
I think it depends on what type of Carp and the water conditions.
Check NETFLIX for the DVD "Flyrodders guide for Carp" Very good video.
I can say, Myself, I sight fish for them and it appears, carp won't travel far for food, so I usually cast over them and drag the food in front. That works for me.

philthy

Reaction score
Hey Joni,

Just got back from Sportsman's Warehouse here in ABQ, and they've got the yellow crystal chenille. Might check one near you.

Phil

Joni

Reaction score
ABQ as in New Mexico? Dang! and my old man just flew in last night from a weekend there. I will check ours out here, thanks!

darkcahill

Reaction score
You can also use crawfish patterns and even Clouser minnows to catch them. The biggest thing you have to do is sit and watch them feed and what food items they are feeding on. I have caught Carp on size 14 Light Cahills to 2/0 Clousers and everything in between.