The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 01:11 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough
Default the late, great Susquehanna

What is going on with the Susquehanna? All the smallmouth bass are dead and the rockbass have a funny color on them! ...... maybe fungus?
Suckers and catfish are floating down the river also.
McFly mentioned that his stream is now filled with silt!!! So is the Susquehanna!! Only 10 years ago this was a "world class" smallmouth fishery.
There used to be gravel bottom and crystal clear water with thousands of smallmouth bass every place you went.
This really breaks my heart!!
Silt and runoff mud everywhere in the river. And snotgrass every time it rains!! Never happened before....... strange times!
Every year it just keeps getting worse!
Thank God I have a lot of wonderful memories from the past.
I'm now in a position to move if I want to...... I still love to fish, but I have to live where there are still some fish to catch.
South to the Gulf...... or north to Alaska...... or maybe west to Montana!!
So much to think about, and so little time.

Scuze me while I tie a fly!

Where would you fellow flyrodders live if you could live anywhere?

Click the image to open in full size.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 07-31-2008, 09:45 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the late, great Susquehanna

FRF,

What part of the Susquehanna? Did you notify the PF&BC and send them some pictures? If so, what if anything did they tell you?

Joe
Old 07-31-2008, 12:59 PM

captmikestarrett is on a distinguished road

I stopped guiding there 7 years ago out of Swatara. It got so bad the trolling motor and jet unit would clog up with toilet paper..

Have not been back since..

But boy it was great back then with 4-5 lb smallies every day all day in April..

Capt Mike
Old 08-05-2008, 05:01 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

thats just sad, but its like the cutthroat trout here in montana once a great and mighty trout that swam waters like the missouri and the big hole for hundreds of years brought down by three species of trout and man.

But you never know the fishery could come back just as the cutthroat trout is.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 08-06-2008, 05:57 PM

rausch51 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rausch51

What a shame! Sorry to hear such a great fishery has fallen on hard times. As somebody else already posted, did you contact the department of natural resources? I'm sure there are some fisheries biologists in your state that would be interested in your findings.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

That is sad to hear.

As far as where I would choose to live next, either s/w Montana, or n/w Wyoming. Or anywhere in between.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-08-2008, 12:03 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
As far as where I would choose to live next, either s/w Montana, or n/w Wyoming. Or anywhere in between.
Thanks, dude. I was thinking the same thing.
I simply love to flyfish. Clean air and clean water means a lot to me.
I could see myself living there.
These big stinkin' cities with all the pollution and all the people are driving me crazy.
I could sell my assets and live a great life, just like the Unibomber!
I could see myself living in the woods with only a couple necessities.......
- a couple high end fly outfits
- good quality waders and tackle
- a 60" flat panel plaza with direct hookup
- a couple cases of fine wine from France
- a king size high quality bed for my little shack
- a monthly contract with Omaha Steaks to deliver lobster, shrimp, filler mignon, and other staples....... just in case I get tired of eating trout!
- several handguns and rifles for my protection
- and finally, a written pass to go fishing on Jane Fondas 600,000 acres of prestine trout waters any time I wanted to..... I could always take Jane out to lunch..... now that she is single again!! If she pays, we could have a wonderful time...... I love the "workout" videos she made in the past.

It doesn't take that much to make me happy. Just some wild trout rising for a dry fly with me the only angler in sight!

I'll keep hoping and praying that my dreams will come true.

Thanks again, cowboy, I'll have to get a neat hat like that when I move there.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 08-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I ate lunch with her one time at a small diner in s/w Montana. Well ok....sorta....she was in the diner at the time, Does that count? lol.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I live right here. It's pretty good.