The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough
Default Breakin' in my new 4wt

Just like "McFly" mentioned, the streams around here are super low also. The trout streams are 1/3 of what they usually flow!!
I thought "why not downsize for some fun with the small fish"
I purchased a Orvis Clearwater II 8'6" 4wt and a Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor reel and some 4wt Wonderline Gen 3 Double Taper.
I've never used a DT before. This is a wonderful line for the small streams I fish. Great for roll casting and makes such a quiet presentation on the water when I use a small dry.
The Susquehanna is still having it's problems and I was ready to hang up my freshwater stuff and head to the shore.
The NJ surf is also having problems!! Brown water with no fish. Everyone is complaining about it. The croakers should arrive soon...... they are a blast with a fly rod! I hope the water clears soon.
I thought of all my options and thought the best bet for me would be to catch the abundant "trash fish" with a light fly rod.
I'm so happy with the Orvis stuff. My 8'6" 4wt is only 2.7oz!!!! And the large arbor reel is only 3.9oz!!
I've tried a Copper John Nymph #14, a Pheasant Tail Nymph #16 and a Adam's Dry #16 and the 2" to 3" chubs love them...... but to catch a trout or smallmouth or rockbass I have to use my own black woolybuggers!
I wanted to have some fun fishing again..... and that's what I got today!!
Mild exercise also. I walk on a beautiful trail down a beautiful stream and take in all the wonders of a pristine stream!!
So much fun today, I'll think I'll do it again tomorrow!

Click the image to open in full size.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 08-18-2008, 05:24 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Breakin' in my new 4wt

Great stuff man! looks like fun. Where is this?

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:26 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Let's just say a stream in central PA! I live in south central PA and there are a lot of great trout streams nearby.
They all flow to the Susquehanna. These feeder streams are colder and don't have the stinkin' pollution like the Susky has.
I think we need a good flood to cleanse the Susquehanna! Until then I have a great time fishing the tiny feeder streams.
Today I caught 3 brownies (1 native and 2 holdovers) and 2 smallmouth bass and about 25 chubs.
Even though it was near 90, the streams in the woods are covered with trees and I was very comfy in the shade even with chest waders on!!
Longrods forever

- Dylan
Old 08-19-2008, 05:15 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Hey Richard
I am in Lewes De right at the mouth of the bay and the croakers finally showed up this weekend, I think in a week or so it should be better they are just starting to show up we have been plaqued with very cold water here this year but it is getting better. Scholl starts in 2 weeks so the crowds will be thinning out some.
Good Luck
jim
Old 08-19-2008, 06:54 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info. I suppose it sounded like I wanted to invite myself to your stream but that is not the case. I just could not tell your general geopgraphic location in order to relate your success to my geographic area.
We have a lot similar here in Virginia.
dave

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 AM

jimw,

I hear from CapeMayRay on the Bass Barn that the Cape May waters have been brown for a couple weeks.
The water is like a sewer and no fish can be found there....... probably algae in the hot, polluted water.
I'm heading up to Island Beach State Park next week.
I hope the croakers are "thick as thieves" there.
I have a good feeling about this fall.

- Dylan