The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: carpin

I got into Carpage about two years ago and after the first one I knew I was hooked.

I hooked the first four on a 6 weight, but I was in a pontoon boat so I could chase them plus there wasn't much coverage for them to hide and throw the hook in. I was using a Intermediate line with a Haresear and a beadhead Prince, and cast to where I saw them roll with a fairly quick steady strip.

This year I took to the river and lost several due to break off. I switched to an 8 wt floating with a 7 1/2 0X tippet. Again threw just slightly in front and over the roll and steady long strip. Worked killer, I was hooking about one to every two or three casts.

Flies I choose for my river were as follows:

the Carp Hex:

Click the image to open in full size.

The Pop Corn ball:

here are some others I think would be killer:

The two flies I mention work constantly for me, so they are a keeper for sure. I too have caught them in park ponds with a dry like an adams
Old 10-13-2008, 01:06 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

wow killer flies joni! I haven't been on in awhile. its about that time again!! I never tried for carp but hooked up with a smaller one on a clouser olive/white. might of been a fluke cause I never got one since.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:07 PM

skiezo is on a distinguished road

I target carp quite a bit on my home waters. I use an 8 wt for these fighters.
My flies for carp are sz. 6 crayfish and one that clouser ties. it is a modified clouser tied with fox tail.
If they are tailing they are most likely feeding. Cast a few feet in front of them and let it settle on the bottom. Once it gets close I give it a small twitch.
I will also catch them on unweighted wollybuggers if they are sipping bugs off the top.
My largest was a 32#er that spooled me twice. They are a blast but can be a challange to catch.
As far as tippet I use nothing less than an 8 pounds.

Brian
Old 02-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I target carp quite a bit on my home waters. I use an 8 wt for these fighters.
My flies for carp are sz. 6 crayfish and one that clouser ties. it is a modified clouser tied with fox tail.
If they are tailing they are most likely feeding. Cast a few feet in front of them and let it settle on the bottom. Once it gets close I give it a small twitch.
I will also catch them on unweighted wollybuggers if they are sipping bugs off the top.
My largest was a 32#er that spooled me twice. They are a blast but can be a challange to catch.
As far as tippet I use nothing less than an 8 pounds.

Brian

As far as tippet, I found that out after loosing several flies and fish. I am using 12lb to play it safe and the 8 wt. is my choice. I just bought a 7/8 weight spey I want to try. The river isn't real wide and with this 13' rod I should be able to reach out and touch them LOL
One of my favorite spots have large overhanging trees. I am thinking of dangling and setting by pulling line, but getting them to shore could be tricky unless I just back up LOL
Old 02-07-2009, 10:58 PM

Warthog is on a distinguished road

carp are cool to catch i only got one on a zugbug the day I caught it it was windy and the water was choppy and it was a cold day prob around 20 or 30 deg dont know if this helps any one this was a lake by the way.

is the popcorn ball weighted? cause at the lake Ive never seen them at the surface but I have seen them at big bear lake gulping something they could have been spawning though.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:00 PM

No it isn't weighted.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:08 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road

Carp can be fun to catch.I have caught a few over the years during the hendrickson hatch.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:56 PM

Warthog is on a distinguished road

k thanks Joni just hoping for something easy to tie that i can use.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 PM

spanky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfancjh View Post
Carp are easily spooked so you need to be stealthful in both approach and casting. Try not to slap the fly on the water. Other than that the above advice should get you into a few fish.

You Sir are so right, they are a freshwater Bonefish. I have never come across any species of fish that acts more like a Bonefish, than a Carp. Why they get a bad rap, I have no clue. Pound for pound, they are equal to a Bonefish, anyday.Good luck, I caught my first one some years back on a Wolly Bugger, been hooked since.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:52 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
Y Why they get a bad rap, I have no clue.
In the Midwest they are an invasive species that destroy fish habitats. Fun to catch, wish they were gone in some rivers though.