The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 01:34 PM

platterat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: carpin

Ok Guys,

This Capt. Mark Boname owner of the Platte River Fly Shop. I've been fly fishing for carp for over 20 years.

I just posted an article on my website to help you guys.

Go to How to Catch Carp On a Fly

Good Luck,
Capt. Mark
Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 AM

darkcahill is on a distinguished road

Been a long time since I started fly fishing Carp. Started in my teens and still doing it. Thought I throw up some pics of the Carp we have in Manitoba. They are a blast. Enjoy.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcahill View Post
been a long time since i started fly fishing carp. Started in my teens and still doing it. Thought i throw up some pics of the carp we have in manitoba. They are a blast. Enjoy.

Click the image to open in full size.

nice!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by platterat View Post
Ok Guys,

This Capt. Mark Boname owner of the Platte River Fly Shop. I've been fly fishing for carp for over 20 years.

I just posted an article on my website to help you guys.

Go to How to Catch Carp On a Fly

Good Luck,
Capt. Mark
Thanks for the article and welcome to the group!

Any tips on hooking up with Redhorse Suckers? My local rivers are silly with them.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

i also want to hit up some carp this summer. the march 2009 in-fisherman has a fantastic article on carp fly fishing!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:39 PM

Flytrap is on a distinguished road

While I prefer a 7wt, I've gotten them on my 5wt often and even a couple on the 4wt.

With the 4-5 wts I use a straight piece of 8# mono, with the 7wt 15# test (I don't exactly coddle them!)

The flies already mentioned are all good, depending on where in the water column the fish activity is.

I find them much more energetic in the summer, now or right at ice out they are fairly lethargic.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:18 AM

darkcahill is on a distinguished road

Cliff if you think Carp are finicky the Suckers are worse. I've had my best success with Midge pupa patterns and everyonce in a whils a Caddis emerger will work.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've found the exact same to be true. Not sure if they just won't eat the stuff that's large and heavy enough for me to get down to them in current, or if they see me long before I see them and develop lockjaw. One of these seems to be true though.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:04 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Reading this post just restored part of my sanity. I fish mostly saltwater but this past summer we spent a week at Rocking Horse ranch in upstate NY. I spent the week catching largemouth with my 5WT. It drove me crazy to watch kids feed bread to huge, 10-15lb Carp but they wouldn't take anything I threw at them!!! I just about lost my mind, reading this post I now understand why.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:29 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

just wondering, does anyone know the laws about chumming in wisconsin??? i know that it IS illegal to chum with fish parts...but idk about corn or other organic material. any help would be great!