The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 05:33 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Catfish BIG TIME!!

In the James river today using my new Orvis Helios 9 Weight and 200 depth charge sinking line, an articulated Eel pattern and caught these monsters. Over 300 lbs of fish in 5 hours!!! Some really intense 15-20 minute battles.
I am spent....

Click the image to open in full size.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:33 PM

darkcahill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Catfish BIG TIME!!

AWESOME!!! I have done hundreds of Channel Cats on the fly but we have no Flatheads up here. Techniques and tips would be appreciated.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I caught a few nice channels also but never monster flatheads like that!!!! nice job! bet you had loads of fun!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dave

Nice photos! Looks like your putting that Orvis Helios to good use! Congrats on the monster cat!

Larry
Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Thanks George and Larry. It was great fun. I really bought the rod for tailing reds in shallow marshes and will look to explore that in the next 2 months.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:34 PM

superadd is on a distinguished road

Wow thats a nice flathead. Reminds me of fishing in Eufaula lake in Ok. But we never used flies. I bet some of those 30-50 lb flats would put up a good fight, infact I dont think we ever fished for cats with anything except live bait on the bottom.

What do you use and how do you present it.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:37 AM

I used 200 grain sinking line witha 20lb tippet. The fly was about 2" long articulated eel pattern in blue.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:03 PM

darkcahill is on a distinguished road

Fly fishing Cats is a pile of fun and more people should try it. Nothing like getting sore arms, especially on that Flathead. Do you have a full length shot? Would love to see it.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcahill View Post
Fly fishing Cats is a pile of fun and more people should try it. Nothing like getting sore arms, especially on that Flathead. Do you have a full length shot? Would love to see it.
Standby, I will get you one.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:13 PM