The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 01:44 AM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road
Default what kind of sink tip for stripers?

I currently only have a 24ft 250gr for my 8 wt and going to start getting into some striper action. Am I going to need a faster sinking line than that? Or will the 7-9 inches per second be enough for the most part? I really dislike buying new lines they are so expensive!
Old 10-09-2010, 02:41 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what kind of sink tip for stripers?

Your Rio 24' 250 grain sink tip will work for some Striped Bass applications, but it isn't perfect. If I recall correctly, that line sinks at 6.5 inches per second which may not be fast enough for some of the deeper holes or two fast for the cruising fish in the shallows.

If you are going to have one rod, build yourself a shooting head system. That way you could play the depth game efficiently. Each 30 foot shooting head will sink at a different rate, so you can get your fly to where the fish are. I mostly use a type 8 head.

You may want to consider bumping your line mass to 300 grains. Striper flies are much larger and bulkier than steelhead flies. You will need the grain mass to throw those flies effectively.

MP
Old 10-09-2010, 09:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what kind of sink tip for stripers?

Are you fishing from a boat or from shore ?
The integrated lines are good for boat fishing, but if you're standing on your own two feet you'll most often want want to be using an intermediate or a floater.