The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 08:34 AM

mtnman2888 is on a distinguished road
Default New smallmouth setup, advice please

Hello all, i am getting a whole new set up for smallmouth (rod, reel, and line) and was wondering if anyone had any advice.

I've been fishing for smallmouth once and although i loved it, i haven't had a chance to make it back in a while. Well now i'm gonna get serious about it so what would y'all recommend.

I figured a good 6wt. rod or so but i'm not totally sure. Thanks for any advice.

www.backpackingangler.com
Old 09-12-2008, 03:46 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New smallmouth setup, advice please

Well, I'm sure more experienced people will be here soon, but I'll get the ball rolling.

I've got a 7wt for smallmouths, but I've always felt like it was overkill (it was just the rod the guy at the sporting goods store recommended my dad give me as a gift when I was in high school). I've become accustomed to it and haven't switched, but I feel like a 6wt might have been a better choice, and would probably be more versatile. (This is also partly because what I have is an older, heavy rod.)

That said, it depends in part on the size of fish you'll be tackling. Where I grew up, we didn't get into many big smallies. Where I live now, I haven't gotten into the big ones on the fly rod, but based on some I've caught, I don't think I'd mind the extra muscle.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:24 PM

stobey is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I use the same set up for smallies as I do for trout.

Sage FLI #5 w/ #6 line
Almost any #5 or #6 reel will work.
Flies are the same as for trout (I use mainly nymphs and streamers for both)
Techniques the same for both.

I think that smallies are great practice for trout.

Steve
Old 09-12-2008, 08:50 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

I would honestly purchase an 8'6" 5wt and use a WF6F Headstart or Orvis Clearwater (forward based weight) on it. I would think that would suffice for any smallmouth you will encounter. For the rod, do not get an Orvis, as the 5wt is a true 4, but that is another topic for another time. I would grab a St Croix Avid or Sage Fli 8'6 5wt and be happy!
Old 09-14-2008, 04:11 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflingerandy View Post
...For the rod, do not get an Orvis, as the 5wt is a true 4, but that is another topic for another time...
Now I'm curious flyflinger- any particular model Orvis or all of them? I was just looking into the clearwater II, although I have no business buying another rod.

mtnman,
I happen to love a 6wt rod, but I think you'll have more fun with a 4 or 5 wt in the end.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:05 PM

Oops- double post. Sorry.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:50 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

All Orvis rods are rated for a WF line. Most other rods, Sage, TFO, Redington, etc are all rated for a DT. This is part of why on longer casts, the SUPERDUPERFASTACTIONCASTAMILE rods are so fast. If you used the DT line, the extra weight would kill the rods on the longer casts (over 50') If you get a 5wt Orvis, it is a 4/5, whereas a 5wt Sage is a 5/6. Making sense?
Old 09-14-2008, 11:40 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Randy,

That makes a lot of sense to me. I've got a FLi, a CPS, a couple Clearwater II's and five St Croixs!
Even if Orvis is rated wrong.......... I still like them the best!! They are the lightest rods, and my fav for fishing.
And I like Sharkskin the best!! I read all the reviews, and I must admit that I'm a strange, stubborn guy!!

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 09-15-2008, 07:32 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Smallmouth set-ups are a personal choice; that being said, my set-up on my most used combination is my 8'6" 5/6wt. Line is a weight forward AirFlo. I fish mainly streamers for sub-surface fishing, and small foam poppers and large spider type flies for most of my surface fishing.

Dan
Old 09-15-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflingerandy View Post
All Orvis rods are rated for a WF line. Most other rods, Sage, TFO, Redington, etc are all rated for a DT. This is part of why on longer casts, the SUPERDUPERFASTACTIONCASTAMILE rods are so fast. If you used the DT line, the extra weight would kill the rods on the longer casts (over 50') If you get a 5wt Orvis, it is a 4/5, whereas a 5wt Sage is a 5/6. Making sense?
Thanks. Makes sense. Didn't know this. Good info.

This means my 2wt superfine is really a 1/2 wt? Sweet!