The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 12:23 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default 3 weighting it for gill/bass!

gonna hit the vermilion river up tomorrow with my 3wt ***** creek combo from forum fly shop the full creel! I got a size 16 or 18 peacock headed green midge tubing bodied midge tied on that i made up. never tried anything this small before. will see if it works! if not I will adjust! I will take my camera also. we got a lil rain so I will see how the v looks. heard reports of the steelheads coming in also but i doubt i will see any yet. they are closer to lake erie break walls now. imagine a 8 pound steelie on a 3wt with 5x tippet haha. keep ya posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV31006.JPG (82.2 KB, 36 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:31 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 3 weighting it for gill/bass!

Good luck fishing. Better fishing days are coming.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:06 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

You can throw size 8-10 streamers on that three weight! That is all I fish on my 3. I refuse to fish tiny dries on it. I will use a 1 or 2 weight for that, but the three caught me a small carp this past weekend on a #10 bugger variant. Don't resign yourself to only throwing those tiny little flies on that rod. Enjoy!
Old 09-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi GeorgeMcFly,

That is a nice looking fly. You are really coming along with your tying.

I have missed you posting lately. Hope you are doing well. We had a recent question about Steelhead in your area and I was hoping you would help them out.

Frank
Old 09-21-2008, 08:30 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

ya I haven't been on lately but steelhead are about to be on there way back so I will start tying and posting more now. the river was so low there wasn't much fishign for me. we got some rain a few days ago and I went out today. heres some pix. I got a chub on the midge I made then switched to a brown bugger and got 2 small smallmouths and 3 rock bass. heres a few pix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV31010.JPG (79.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31013.JPG (83.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31017.JPG (83.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31022.JPG (81.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31032.JPG (84.3 KB, 24 views)

Old 09-21-2008, 08:32 PM

more pix! I will go check out that steelhead post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV31029.JPG (85.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31036.JPG (80.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31041.JPG (75.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31023.JPG (81.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31026.JPG (82.0 KB, 15 views)

Old 09-21-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflingerandy View Post
You can throw size 8-10 streamers on that three weight! That is all I fish on my 3. I refuse to fish tiny dries on it. I will use a 1 or 2 weight for that, but the three caught me a small carp this past weekend on a #10 bugger variant. Don't resign yourself to only throwing those tiny little flies on that rod. Enjoy!
ya man I just wanted to try it out seeing as I never tried a fly that small before. wanted to see if somethign would actually bite it.. I remember someone telling me not to use a size 8 or 10 fly that it was too big on a 3wt and it wouldn't cast for ****. but I used a size 10 brown beadhead bugger today and I was casting it all the way across the river! I am a streamer person myself. I love me some clousers and buggers. thanks man.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:57 AM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

That is all I fish on a 3wt are streamers. I have not tied on a popper or foam bug in months. I am excited to get my 2wt to throw a #12 streamer I tie.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:25 AM

I bought a few poppers that look like bees and I never had luck on um the 2 times I used um so I switched around and found what works. I am a person that will give something a chance but if it don't work out in a half hour I am moving on. lol. the midge I tied. I just moved on after 1 chub in a half hour. the basic flies I know that work around here are

streamers clouser minnows in (olive/white red/white chartruse/white brown/orange) beadhead buggers in (black)and (brown)
Nymphs hares ears in natural and olive. pheasent tails.copper johns
Dry Flies adams fly, royal wulffs etc.
also try Daves Hoppers and foam spiders and other terrestrials.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:13 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool! I've ben spending most of the past two weeks fishing the Neshaminy
Creek (1 mile from my house), going after gills and smallmouth with my
7'6" 4wt. I use mainly #10 WB's, and #10 and #14 Green Weenies. The bluegill and pumpkinseed in that creek are exceptional fighters, and I've been
having a ball!

Great Pics!