The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 06:44 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 6-7 or 7-8 Weight Rod...

If you toss the big bass bugs, an 8wt may be necessary. To catch a larger bass, a 7/8 wt is the lowest I would go, if you are targeting them. I find an 8wt too heavy after a couple of hours, and it gives me a back ache. I wish I had known this previously. I will have to get a 7wt, and HOPE I can toss the bigger bass bugs with it. If not I will just have to use the 8wt,but only for a short time. I have a 5wt, and it gives me no trouble. My 5wt is a Dogwood Canyon, the 8wt is a Redington Crosswater.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 PM

EastTexas will become famous soon enoughEastTexas will become famous soon enough

I use a 9' 5wt or 8' 6wt and have no problem with the weeds.
With wind, the 6wt is better.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:22 AM

Douglas Wesson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilidad View Post
I am looking at getting into fly fishing for largemouth bass... Which weight range rod/reel would you guys prefer: 6-7 wt. or 7-8 wt.? Also what length should I go with, 8 1/2 or 9 ft.

Thanks, Paul.
I have both 6 & 8 wt rods, but prefer my 6 wt for bass. I live in Oregon and haven't run into any bass that my 6 wt can't handle. My 6 wt is a Sage RPL which is a fast action rod and has lots of back bone.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:53 PM

BadKarma is on a distinguished road

For a good budget reel, look at the Hobbs Creek reels from Bass Pro. I have one on my 4/5 wt and on my 6wt. The 6wt is loaded with 7wt line to throw those big flies. The Hobbs gets the job don with small cost, $40 last time I looked.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:16 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I have a Hobb's Creek reel for my Dogwood Canyon 5wt. I like it. It was about 40-43 bucks or so when I bought it.
Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma View Post
For a good budget reel, look at the Hobbs Creek reels from Bass Pro. I have one on my 4/5 wt and on my 6wt. The 6wt is loaded with 7wt line to throw those big flies. The Hobbs gets the job don with small cost, $40 last time I looked.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:25 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

I live near Nashville and fish Old Hickory, Percy Priest, and the Harpeth River for bass a lot.

I have a 9' 7 wt Orvis rod that also handles 8 wt line quite well, especially for the shorter distances you often use for bass. (You can get quite close in a boat if you're quiet.)

I also have a 8.5 ft 7 weight Bass Pro Hobbs Creek I picked up for real cheap. The shorter rod is a lot lighter than the Orvis. I find that the Orvis casts the bass bugs and topwater flies better, and I use the shorter rod for streamers. MOST of my bass are caught on the streamers. I usually drift along the shore in the spring and cast a streamer on sink-tip line, along drop offs, tree tops laying in the water, etc. Then I switch to the topwater rod when I see particularly good spots tight to the shore, or a weedbed too thick for the streamer, etc.

I've always wanted to hit Reelfoot with a flyrod. From the pics I've seen and the stuff I've read, I'd bet a stout rod with a floating bug on 8 or 10 lb leader would be the ticket for pulling big bass and bluegills from the trees. Drop me a line and we'll meet up and catch some!

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 01-25-2009, 09:48 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I just read through the 8 wt rod shootout. The Reddington CPS did very well, and costs $250. Cabelas had them at 1/2 price. Don't know if they have 8 wt but, it may be worth checking out. There's a link to the test in a thread on the general discussion forum.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:56 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Pop up canopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcysiva View Post
I like to use all sorts of rods. All I need is a few rods and my Pop up canopy to shade me from the hot sun and im all set. I have some websites on this if you are interested. Good luck on your next fishing trip!
Darcysiva, are you fishing or pushing pop up canopies? Two posts and you are mentioning the "pop up canopies" in both. Look at this website, it's fly fishing. I'm having a hard time picturing myself casting a 9' fly rod under a pop up canopy, let alone having to pack one while I'm on a river.
Smells like SPAM is cooking in the kitchen.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Good call there Mojo.

Frank
Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 PM

skiezo is on a distinguished road

I had one of these built.
Blanks | Lamiglas
It is rated 7/8 wt. with a 7 wt. line it is a nice fast action rod. With an 8 wt GPX line it turns into a med/fast progressive action that cast like a dream.
I can throw some big stuff with this rod and it is very forgiving with the GPX.
With ultra-4 8wt line is is just a sweet stick. One of my nicer casting rods.
Not to add any spam to this site but I can direct you to a builder that will
craft a rod to your specs and is not over priced.
I only have one factry rod and the rest were custom and that is the way to go, IMHO. A custom for less than a factory.
PM me if you need any info on my builder.
He is building me a 10"8' switch soon.

Brian