The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 12:00 PM

PikeFlyGuy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pike and Muskie Rods/flies

FINN:

Re: my book on flyfishing for pike and musky, I'm working on getting it published right now. If you e-mail me directly at: gbernsak(at)AOL, I'll let you know when it's available. Expected price is $16.95, and it will have everything you need to know.

Pikeflyguy
Old 03-07-2009, 10:03 PM

lineslinger is on a distinguished road

I have to go along with Doc, seems he and I are of similar thinking regarding gear and such.

You should also take a look at Barry Reynolds and John Berryman's book "Pike on the Fly", Spring Creek Press, with a neat forward by Lefty Kreh, which was published quite a while back, 1993 I believe. Reynolds was a real pioneer in exposing to fly fishing enthusiasts what great sport it is to FF for Pike.
I fished with Barry on Wollaston Lake (and the adjoining streams and tributary's) in Saskatchewan in 1996. We were the first real fly fishers they ever had in camp as the management wanted to engage a wider customer base than strictly spin fisherman.

I would offer your 8wt. will work just fine. We were catching 45" - 55" Pike regularly on an RPLX 8wt. using a floating line with a sinking leader as well as a sink tip line with 5' of 30# leader. I used the same leader, no bite tippet, for over 3 days before changing it out. We were throwing Bunny Bugs, Dahlberg Divers, streamers, whistlers, etc.

To prove a point about how aggressive the Pike can really get we tied on a Coke can to the end of the leader, stripped it around and they would hammer that as well.
I had an errant cast land on the edge of the bank and a 24" hammer handle came out of the water, sucked it up and flopped his way back into the water, one of the coolest fishing memories I have to this date, hope it all works out for you.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:24 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

I got a 9wt. Legend Elite and a 10wt. Legend Ultra. I also got several flies from friends for free. Cannot wait till I get a reel now.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:47 AM

MikeG:

No need to spend a fortune on a reel for pike and musky. Something with a decent drag that will hold 50 yards of backing is fine. I suggest one of the large arbor reels which allows you to pick up line quicker. There are a lot that will work operfectly for under $100. Also think about going 1 line heavier than the rod rating. It helps cast big flies from a short line.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:01 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeFlyGuy View Post
MikeG:

No need to spend a fortune on a reel for pike and musky. Something with a decent drag that will hold 50 yards of backing is fine. I suggest one of the large arbor reels which allows you to pick up line quicker. There are a lot that will work operfectly for under $100. Also think about going 1 line heavier than the rod rating. It helps cast big flies from a short line.
Could you give some examples of reels in that price range?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:53 AM

darkcahill is on a distinguished road

Okuma and Pflueger are two that come to mind. I use both and have not had a problem.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use a 10 wt. rod. My favorite fly is the Reynolds Pike Fly. The picture of the fly in my gallery is the way I used to tie them. I use heart beads from the craft store for heads now. They are bigger and add another level of "tooth proof". I use 5 minute epoxy instead of head cement for the thread on the weed gaurd and everything else. I think it is the only fly I need for pike. If you want a recipe I'll add it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flystep3.jpg (3.9 KB, 124 views)
Old 03-15-2009, 08:32 PM

kerryssz is on a distinguished road

hey, Diver Dan! are those colors work good for you. I am trying to find a perfect pike fly.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:58 AM

Kerryssz;

Diver Dan's fly looks good, but frankly I avoid anything with a bunny strip tail. They certainly catch fish, but I find the tail frequently tangles around the gap of the hook. I've been flyfishing for pike (and am just publishing a book on same) for over 20 years and have held 2 IGFA tippet-class records. My go-to fly is a maribou streamer, colors white/red, yellow/red, green/red and all black, in that order of success. Lately orange/red has been good, too. It's a simple pattern, with detailed tying instructions for it and a few others in my book, but basically, it is tied with a mylar tube body, 2 long flared red maribou fleathers under 2 long flared white (or other color) maribous. All topped with 8-10 strands of pearl flashabou (gold with yellow or green) extending 2" beyond the feathers, and then some crystal flash on top. The longer flashabou weaves back and forth beyond the feathers, like a tail. IMPORTANT: use large tungsten barbell eyes. I like red. Mostly, I tie the fly hook up, between the feathers, for weedlessness. About as good as a weed guard and easier. It's a surprisingly tough fly, and I've often caught large fish with it just dangling in the water while doing something else. Nothing matches maribou for action in the water.

Good luck.

PikeFlyGuy
Old 03-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

This color works fine, but with the action it gets with the bunny strip (which does not wrap the hook thanks to the 40lb. mono hook gaurd) I don't think color makes much differance. This fly is just short of bullet proof. It was designed by Barry Reynolds who wrote a book and made at least two videos, and holds several records as well. I modified it some from Reynolds design, by adding the heart bead head. It eliminated the last tooth vulnerable spot. If there was ever a perfect pike fly, this has to be it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pike flies2.JPG (86.3 KB, 132 views)