The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 PM

darkcahill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pike and Muskie Rods/flies

The reason that I tie the Weedman's Slider the way I do is I can fish it on the surface if I want to and I can also use a sinking line and fish it deep, the best of both worls. For the hook I use a Mustad 34007 1/0 to 5/0. You have to really sharpen these hooks though but it is a killer fly.
Tail: Icelandic Sheep
Head: Deer body hair, clip flat on top and bottom then triangulate the head, narrow at the eye of the hook and wide at the back of the hook.
Eyes: 4 mm dolls eyes, cut the syem off and use Goop to ayyach to the deer hair.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:26 PM

Excuse my typing, I got fat fingers tonight.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I would suggest a step up to a Ten Weight, and the recommendation for Cortlands Pike/Musky line earlier is a good choice. One other line I like is the Cortland "Little Tunny", it is an intermediate line that has a very aggressive taper. It is designed for Stripers and shoots great. One other quick note, Toothy Critter is a Cortland product (not Rio as mentioned here earlier). As far as the 10 weight, you can land most Pike/ Musky with a Seven or Eight Weight, but casting big, water logged, Pike Muskie Flies in a wind is a job a 9 or 10 does much better. And since you already have an Eight I would break down and buy a Ten. I chase Muskies on Lake St. Clair in MI and we use ten weights with a QD 400 grain head sinking line. Here's a 45", my biggest so far.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice fish there Senor Burk. Thanks for the info dark cahill. I tied this before you posted the recipe. I think I copied it pretty good. I don't have as good a camera for closeup shots. My photo looks like yours after you rub an onion on your eyes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weedman's slider2.JPG (89.2 KB, 150 views)
Old 04-02-2009, 07:48 PM

I have to tie some up this weekend so I will take a top view and a side view so you can see how I trim the head.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:46 PM

BrokenWing is on a distinguished road

Man I am jacked up about this topic. I will be looking for the book soon.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 PM

Castin Saxton is on a distinguished road

I have been Muskie fishing since 1992 I am a caster at heart, hence the name. I mostly jerk bait fish, however my second love is fly fishing for Steelhead and I have decided to make the commitment to start fly fishing for Muskie, I live in Ohio and fish mostly inland lakes< (Leesville, Satlfork etc) I was wondering if the Orvis 9wt 9ft TLS Power Matrix 909-4 Fly Rod would be a good rod to start with? Or maybe the Orvis T3 10wt 9ft I was going to use my Lamson Litespeed on this rod, but have decieded to maybe get the Batinkill big game large arbor in the 9-11wt. I was hoping to get some feed back on the rod and reel and also what would be the best line to use for this set up?

I appreciate any advise and welcome all opinions.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 12:05 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You could get away with the 9 wt. for Musky if that's what you already have. If you are going to buy one , I would get the ten.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:57 AM

Offshore is on a distinguished road

I haven't posted much here.... I'm from England and have been fly fishing for pike for only the last 10 months but already found that this way of catching pike is my favourite and most productive by far.

My two points of reference are the books by Barry Reynolds and Ad Swier, together with Barry's exceptional DVD "In Pursuit of the Water Wolf"

Based on that DVD I re thought my pike fishing... and ended up having a red letter day.

Posting photos on forums ain't easy so forgive me putting a link to my blog

My two set ups are an 8/9 and a 9/10 weight rods one with Cortland 333 Pike WF Float and Guideline's Pike WF Sink tip (Both are excellent lines).... I have tied numerous flies for pike but am happy copying Barry's standards... if it ain't broke and all that!!

BUG_BOND
Old 04-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Banned

Barry has an older video that may no longer be available called Pike on the Fly. It has some great fishing video but also shows how to tie the Reynolds Pike fly. I have modified that fly some and you can see the photos of mine in earlier posts on this thread. Larry Dahlberg also did a great video for In-Fisherman Called Fly Fishing for Pike. He shows the leader setup I still use and shows how he ties the Dahlberg Mega Diver. Another great fly. The line I have had the best distance with is the SA mastery series pike / musky taper.