The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pike and Muskie Rods/flies

I was looking at some sites from England and some places in Europe and there seems to be a popular pike fly I had never heard of before. The Pike Muppet. I have not seen a recipe for it and the photos I have seen of them it kind of looks like there is some variation in the materials used. I have tied a few differant versions of it and am going to give them a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pikemuppets.jpg (21.4 KB, 135 views)
Old 05-03-2009, 10:48 AM

doc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
One other quick note, Toothy Critter is a Cortland product (not Rio as mentioned here earlier). As far as the 10 weight, you can land most Pike/ Musky with a Seven or Eight Weight, but casting big, water logged, Pike Muskie Flies in a wind is a job a 9 or 10 does much better. And since you already have an Eight I would break down and buy a Ten. I chase Muskies on Lake St. Clair in MI and we use ten weights with a QD 400 grain head sinking line. Here's a 45", my biggest so far.
Actually RIO, Cortland and Orvis all have a "Toothy Critter" line of leaders and my fav out of the three is RIO.

Click the image to open in full size.

As far as the weight of rod, a nine or ten weight is definitely better for casting the big Pike flies but don't let anyone tell you a seven or eight weight won't work. I cut my teeth fly'n for Pike on a seven weight and had no problems casting big Pike flies or landing big Pike. Just easier with a beefier rod. Don't feel pressured into buying a new rod, get one when your ready.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 05-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I dislike all factory leader rigs, Rio, Cortland et al. For one thing you are paying to have someone else make a rig that you should be able to make yourself. Pike are so hard on leaders, especially the big ones, I just cant see wasting the money. The Rio toothy critter pictured in the post above goes for just about $5.oo. For 5 bucks I can make a pile of leaders. Don't get me wrong here, I am more than willing to waste money. I waste all kinds of it. Just not on that.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:15 AM

Offshore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I dislike all factory leader rigs, Rio, Cortland et al. For one thing you are paying to have someone else make a rig that you should be able to make yourself. Pike are so hard on leaders, especially the big ones, I just cant see wasting the money. The Rio toothy critter pictured in the post above goes for just about $5.oo. For 5 bucks I can make a pile of leaders. Don't get me wrong here, I am more than willing to waste money. I waste all kinds of it. Just not on that.

When I first got my pike combo it came with a Rio TC leader... it has stayed in the packet...

My leaders are either 15lb low memory mono to 20lb Cannelle Supratress or 25lb Seaguar fluorocarbon to 26lb "Tygerwire" type knotable wire... I am happy with both of those methods...

BUG_BOND
Old 05-05-2009, 07:52 AM

PikeFlyGuy is on a distinguished road

I use Tyger Wire and American Leader Wire, both 27 strand knotable cable. I usually like something around 25#. I find the American Wire tends to curl less when you firm up the knots. It's easy to attach. I make a single overhand knot with the wire around the mono tippet and a 3 or 4 loop UniKnot with the mono around the wire. Draw each closed (but not tight) then snug them together and tighten each individually by pulling on both ends. Now tighten both together again and clip the tag ends. The fly can be attached with a figure-8 or a 2-loop UniKnot.

For those interested, my book (Toothy Critters Love Flies) is delayed, but should be ready in about 6 weeks. It has everything you need to know about catching pike & musky on flies, including fly patterns and a section on "Bonus Species" available in the same waters. There's even a section on how to gear up for IGFA World Records, should you be interested. It will sell for $16.95, but all members of this blog can buy it for $14.95, + $3.00 shipping. You can contact me directly at: PikeFlyGuy@aol.com, to reserve a copy. Feel free to write if you want to know my background. I've held 2 IGFA tippet class records for pike.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:18 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Diver dan.......those muppets are awesome!!!!!! Tyed them olive over yellow..........Wow!!!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 05-26-2009, 01:56 PM

tarkio is on a distinguished road

I am new here and to flyfishing as well. I have enjoyed the comments here and am looking for some advice as to where to purchase flies for a northern CAN trip.

Thanks again.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:39 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

Just out of curiousity , I have a 8 and 9wt(both medium/fast) rods would they work for Big pike, or do you have to have a fast action????
Old 05-27-2009, 01:11 AM

Offshore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruggy1 View Post
Just out of curiousity , I have a 8 and 9wt(both medium/fast) rods would they work for Big pike, or do you have to have a fast action????
I prefer a 9/10# for bigger pike as it gets them under control quicker than my 8/9# rod... important if you are doing catch and release... both my rods are medium fast rods and I'm happier with them that way... I think that a fast action rod would highlight the bad points in my casting technique too much

BUG_BOND
Old 05-27-2009, 07:58 AM

PikeFlyGuy is on a distinguished road

Mike G,

A 9 wt. is fine. I've used it for years, but I like a 10 Wt. better, especially if you are going after musky, too. People say it's overkill, but you need the bigger rod to handle the big flies. Learn to use it properly and you can cast 60' with just 1 or 2 false casts. Light rods tire the fish (and you!) out too much and make it harder to release the alive.

I don't want to step on toes, but I'd ignore the advise to use a mono bite tippet. I've lost several big fish in the early years, using 60# hard mono. The light Tyger Wire or American Leaded Co., 27 strand wire is easy to use and you can tie knots. Small kinks don't affect the action.

Re: flies, I don't like bunny tail streamers. The strip frequently tangles on the hook, and they hold a lot of water, making them a job to cast. The action is good, but my favorite is marabou: red/white, red/yellow, red/orange & black. I've taken 12 or more good fish on one fly, and the action is supurb. Deer hair divers are also great and exciting. Synthetics can also be good, but some types can tangle in the small teeth on the tongue and roof of the mouth, making it almost impossible to set a hook. Fies can be bought from Cabela's, Orvis & Feather-Craft, all on the web. Avoid the "Puglisi" patterns for the above reason.

My book, "Toothy Critters Love Flies" should be out in a few weeks, and I cover everything there. Anyone interested, let me know, and I'll offer a discount to Forum members. It includes musky, and a section about "Bonus Species," other fish in the same waters as pike & musky, that liven up a trip. Also tying in structions for my favorite patterns.

re: Musky: my largest are 41" & 42", about 22 lbs., one on a maribou and the other a flashabou streamer (recipe in my book). Fishing side-by-side with hardware tossers, I had more follows and as many hook-ups on flies. I suggest a "stinger" hook for musky flies, as they tend to be short hitters. Musky fishing is better now than any time in the last 50 years. A friend and I took 6 in 7 days on Lake of the Woods, Ontario, and had follows from at least 20 others.

Hope this answers this and a lot of other questions. I'll post when my book is available, and I'll set up my own blog for any questions or orders.