The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 05:06 PM

jamesrvrmusky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pike and Muskie Rods/flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeFlyGuy View Post
MikeG;

I don't love stinger hooks, either, but if you want musky on flies, it multiplies you chances for success. You'll have worked too hard for those few strikes to chance missing them to short stikes. I've found 2 barbless single hooks do much less damage to a fish, even if taken deeply, than the typical treble hook on hardware.

Still, on that subject, I'm going to do some experimenting with large (3/0) circle hooks for pike flies. If they work, it will mean most fish are hooked in the corner of the mouth, even if they first inhale the fly. Easier to release and less damage done.
Good luck on your up-coming trip to Canada.
I am curious to know whether anyone has tried the Fish Scull articulated shanks in their Musky flies. Seems to me that it solves the Stinger Hook problem without adding a second hook.

Also, I hope that you post info about your circle hook experiment. I doubt that it would work for me though, as the excitement of the strike is simply too great for me to patiently wait for the fish to turn and set the hook in the corner of the mouth! Pulling the fly out of the fishes mouth is a huge problem for me.

JamesRvrMusky
Old 06-28-2012, 02:53 PM

edw is on a distinguished road

Mike G, I just posted about winning a Muskie tournament on flies. I have 22 Muskies in my boat this year so far with 46" being the biggest.

Your fly rod should be heavy enough to throw 9"-12" flies that. I use a 9wt and a 10wt on any given day. I use St Croix and the new Cabelas MTx rods. These rods will do the casting plenty good and have enough backbone to handle big fish. My reels are Sage 4210s which I believe are nearly perfect for this type of fishing. The drag system is one of the best. My lines are Rio cold water clouser bass bug tapers. All my leaders are made with 100lb Seaguar florocarbon. A gret bite leader and the big flies turn over just like a dry fly.
Ed
Old 07-03-2012, 02:47 PM

bigpikeflies is on a distinguished road

I use an 8 weight as many others do, I throw 10 weight lines on it for the extra grains to push foot long weasles. Any larger rod tires me too much. I use Temple forks TICRx and Axiom, entry level priced and will throw big stuff all day. I prefer a large arbor reel but only because it picks up line better and coils less, most any drag will stop a pike. Most any larger fly will bring strikes, but i do better on large streamers run just under the surface instead of floating flies or poppers.