The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 05:33 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Shad

Anyone fly fish for shad on the St. John's River in Florida? What would be some of the basics, such as time of year, locations, fish from boats or shore, flies, leader strength and length. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Shad

Hi Red Owl,

Here is a link to fly fishing for Shad on the St Johns.

Frank
Old 10-20-2008, 06:30 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I have always chased them on the Delaware River here in Pa. argest sooz. far 8 lb. 2
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 10-20-2008, 06:53 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
Anyone fly fish for shad on the St. John's River in Florida? What would be some of the basics, such as time of year, locations, fish from boats or shore, flies, leader strength and length. Thanks.
I fish for American shad in the Delaware River, but what I hear from those I know who fish them in Florida the game is pretty much the same.

6 or 7 weight rod, sink tip lines, leaders in the 4 to 6 foot range down to 8 or 6 lb test (2 or 3X). Fly wise would be an assortment of size 4, 6 & 8 Crazy Charlies, Clousers (short), chenille on a hook with a marabou tail and barbel head and any other bright fly in the right size tied with an upturned hook. Colors range from from white to black and any combination in between. Some of my favorites are pearl white, orange and white, chartreuse and white, green and white, blue, copper, silver, and red and white.

As far as time of year, in the north they run from late March to early June. I'd guess it could be earlier in Florida. Check locally for the most accurate information. These guys should be able to give you the timing info. Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

Joe
Old 10-21-2008, 09:37 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Thanks to all.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:45 AM

Douglas Wesson is on a distinguished road

Shad are just a kick. I like the term I've heard for them, "poor mans Tarpon" and also a 3 lb. fish with a 2 lb. mouth.