The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 02:20 PM

Glicky is on a distinguished road
Default What & Why

After reading Ken's thread on "My first fly rod" and Peregrines reply as well as all the replys in between, It got me thinking...
I have been fly fishing for a couple of years. The majority is in warmwater, going for largemouth bass and blue gills, via wet wading or a float tube, in lakes and reserviors. Along with the LMB & BG I do catch some pickerel. Occasionally I will go for trout, without to much success I may add. This summer I did a little striper fishing with a fly. Caught some stripers and a bluefish, now that was a rush.

I live about 30 miles west of Boston.
My trout fishing is done with a 4 weight, bass with a 6 weight and the saltwater with an 8 weight.

Is there anything missing from my arsenal, what & why?

Outside of marketing, I understand that this maybe quite subjective, but as always your input is always appreciated.

Happy Holidays to one and All.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: What & Why

I think you've got everything you need. Next you might want to add a 3 for more delicacy, a 5 for heavier trouting, or a 9 or 10 for still bigger flies/etc.

You'd likely expand your fishing effectiveness/options more by investing in new lines (sinking, etc) and spools/reels to match for your existing rods.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

yeah, i'd agree with bigcliff, seems like you have it covered with rods. are you making up a christmas wish list? lol

i might only add to how you fish stillwaters in a float tube. two things come to mind... you might think about upgrading your float tube with a pontoon and even if you stick to the tube, if you don't already have one, you should get some type of depth/fish finder. a fishin buddy, now offered by humminbird i think, works great with a float tube. the accuracy of showing fish isn't always great but the depth feature works pretty well and from that you can learn to predict where the fish may be located. if you fish blind right now, it'll open avenues for you. i've only used an older model so the newer ones might be even better than my personal experience. price range from $120 through $260 i think, depending on the model and features.

you also mentioned you have gone for trout without too much success. a guide's service for a half day or fishing with someone willing to show you their technique for catching trout could really improve your arsenal.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Glicky-

It sounds like you've slotted your gear really well.

The 4 weight sounds great for most small stream trout, spring creeks and other delicate work with smaller flies like tricos in late summer as well as panfish.

The 6 is a great weight for bigger western rivers and places like the Delaware, and streamer fishing for trout early late season, small bass. And you can use either the 4 or 6 for nymphing and dries. I would consider adding a sinking line on an extra spool for the 6 if you don't have one already, for fishing streamers, and for float tubing ponds. I would probably go with a sink tip (easier to mend the floating portion on moving water) rather than a full sink line. To help with trout you might want to consider joining a local chapter of Trout Unlimited if you haven't already. You'll learn a ton, and get a lot of info on local water, participate in group trips, and soak up a lot of techniques, tactics, as well as get practical advice on casting, tying etc in either informal sessions or classes that a lot of chapters have during the winter. You'll find that a lot of guys do a lot of FF for other stuff too, including SW.

The 8 weight is a great light salt rod that has you covered for everything from bonefish, redfish, snook etc down south, to stripers, blues, weakfish, bonito and albies in NE, as well as a very versatile FW weight for steelhead, bass, atlantic salmon, shad, and occasional pike etc.

Without knowing the specifics of the rod lengths, actions etc and their lengths and the waters you fish, it sounds like you're pretty well set. You might consider a shorter lighter rod for fishing small streams, or slot in a 5 weight between your 4 and 6 if you really feel the need. But if you're getting into SW FF...

... as far as bang for the buck, I would think about a 10 weight primarily for casting large flies for SW-- bunker (pogy?), herring, and other big imitations for striped bass if you think you might be doing more of that down the road. It'll have a lot more oomph for dealing with wind on open beaches, rocky coastlines and dealing with snotty conditions etc, where you might be a little more limited with an 8. The 8 is a great weight for back bays, marsh creeks and sheltered tidal flats and smaller flies in good conditions out front, or throwing shrimp, crab, and cinder worm imitations on calm nights around the new and full moons. But you may want something with more backbone for throwing 12" squid flies and large flatwings for big bass. The 10 would also be a great weight for fishing deeper water for bass from boats (lifting power) as well as an excellent weight to round out your SW arsenal along with the 8 if you travel to the Keys or other places for vacation. The 10 is also a good weight for heavier salmon pike and musky in FW. Most 10's are still pretty easy to cast by comparison to the heavier 11 and 12 weights which are more specialized sticks, and most 10's that I've used cast more like an 8 than a 12.

So rather than slotting a rod between what you already have, or going lighter, I would consider the 10 as potentially opening up a whole bunch of different fishing opportunities close to Boston and for it's ability to expand the versatility of your arsenal both in terms of the conditions and types of fishing you can do locally and the different stuff you could chase with it if you travel around... just a thought.

Hope this helps, good luck!

peregrines
Old 11-05-2008, 10:27 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'd think about more lines rather than more rods.
A good fly rod will handle more line sizes than the rod manufacturers would like you to believe

I sold my only 3wt last year and I now I fish my 3wt lines on one of my 4wt rods.
And depending on the situation, I most often fish one of my 8wt rods with a 9 or even a 10wt line

Like peregrines says, you might want a 10wt rod down the road.
I like to fish the surf out on the outer Cape.
Most days I'll fish an 8wt with a 10wt line, but when the waves are crashing and the wind is howling a bigger rod comes in handy
On my 10wt rod I might fish anything from a 10wt full sink to a 12wt floater
Old 11-05-2008, 06:31 PM

Thank you guys for all feedback.

Big Cliff: Good idea regarding adding additional spools for the different lines & weights. Some times you just don't see the trees thru the forest.

Ezamora: my wife and one of my sons did give me a half day with a guide on a trout steam for a birthday gift. I was successful catching rainbows, a few browns and brookies. The guide was a young whippersnapper who would tie on the smallest fly, in the quickest time without the aid of glasses. I hated him. I was having too much fun to stop and ask questions. I plan to hook up with him again for the education part.

peregrines: My 4wt rod is a 7 foot and my both my 6wt & 8wt are 9 feet.
I do have a couple of extra spools for the 8wt. I bought these because the reel was being discontinued and they were being closed out.
I do know a SW guide on our north shore. I will be hooking up with him a couple of times this coming year and will have the opportunity to try his 10wt.

Rip Tide: You mentioned that you sold your 3wt and put 3wt line on one of your 4s. If you don't mind me asking, why more than one 4, is there enough difference between a 3 & a 4wt? I hesitate ask because my stock answer for the "how many do you have" question is..."As many as I need but no as many as I want".
Thank you all again!
Old 11-06-2008, 09:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glicky View Post
Thank you guys for all feedback.

Rip Tide: You mentioned that you sold your 3wt and put 3wt line on one of your 4s. If you don't mind me asking, why more than one 4, is there enough difference between a 3 & a 4wt? I hesitate ask because my stock answer for the "how many do you have" question is..."As many as I need but no as many as I want".
I've been fly fishing for a long time and I've accumulated a bunch of rods over the years, somewhere around 20-25 ......not all of the highest quality either
Some of these rods I inherited, some I've had forever, others are rods I though I 'needed', and some were too good of a deal to pass up
I have three rods I think of as 4wts, a fast action graphite, a quality, very slow action fiberglass that I've fished for 35 years, and an even older 6'6" fiberglass that is actually rated for a 5wt.
The slow action rod is excellent for relaxed stroke, dry fly casting, while the graphite rod is more of an all purpose stick. The shorter rod is excellent for small streams.
The 3wt that I sold was a low end, but very popular graphite rod from Cabelas.... I never cared for it.

This was a 'small stream' year for me so in the 4wt size, the 6'6" glass rod got a good workout.
Other that that I used two other rods the majority of the time.
A quality medium action glass 8' 6wt and a med-fast 'home-rolled' graphite 8
The 8wt I used in both fresh water ponds and in the salt.... with different weight lines, 8-10
On the 6wt I always use a 6DT... that's what it likes
Old 11-06-2008, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the follow up.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:41 AM

Douglas Wesson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glicky View Post
After reading Ken's thread on "My first fly rod" and Peregrines reply as well as all the replys in between, It got me thinking...
I have been fly fishing for a couple of years. The majority is in warmwater, going for largemouth bass and blue gills, via wet wading or a float tube, in lakes and reserviors. Along with the LMB & BG I do catch some pickerel. Occasionally I will go for trout, without to much success I may add. This summer I did a little striper fishing with a fly. Caught some stripers and a bluefish, now that was a rush.

I live about 30 miles west of Boston.
My trout fishing is done with a 4 weight, bass with a 6 weight and the saltwater with an 8 weight.

Is there anything missing from my arsenal, what & why?

Outside of marketing, I understand that this maybe quite subjective, but as always your input is always appreciated.

Happy Holidays to one and All.
I agree with others, that should pretty much cover it. FWIW I live in Oregon and have the same set up. I fish warm water species to steelhead and salmon.
4 wt--small warm water fish & trout
6 wt--bass, poor mans tarpon (shad), big trout & steelhead
8 wt--steelhead & salmon
Old 01-06-2009, 07:26 AM

BadKarma is on a distinguished road

Going for the cheap laugh here-----

The only thing I can see that you NEED to add Glicky is a fly tying station!!!!!!!!! lol

But really, it sounds to me that you've got all your bases covered, now it's just getting what you want, not what you need.