The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 12:43 AM

jdub is on a distinguished road
Default 1st post, looking for urban fishing in North Texas

Hi,

This is my first post and I'm hoping to get some help finding a few urban creeks or ponds around Plano/Frisco/McKinney in North Texas.

I moved up here after spending 12+ years in the Austin area where I regularly fished urban spots like Brushy Creek, Bull Creek, Onion Creek, the Colorado below Town Lake, and even Waller Creek--most of which were 20-30 minutes from the house. (I also spent a lot of time on the San Gabriel, Llano, Frio, and Nueces, but that's a different topic.)

I'd like to find a couple of creeks or small tailwaters close to home that are wade-able or can be fished from the bank, where I can get in an hour or two in the evenings without driving too far. I'll be using little 2 weight or 4 weight rods and am perfectly happy catching little fish (although I have 5 and 7 weights too for Bass and Carp).

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Regards,

Jerry
Old 11-06-2008, 06:47 AM

Brunner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1st post, looking for urban fishing in North Texas

Jerry,

Whoever thought that Frisco and McKinney would one day become "urban"? I heard Sean at Orvis Dallas did a great presentation on Flyfishing the 214. I'll see if I can get something from him for you. I live in Frisco and there are a number of city parks and ponds that are pretty well stocked. In the next few months Plano and Carrollton will stock a number of their ponds with trout.

Another great resource would be to go the Dallas Fly Fishers or the group up in Sherman.

From our area, Broken Bow is only a few hours away (I'm actually heading up there tomorrow night to attend Rob Wooddruff's entomology class). Lake Grapevine and Lavon have some nice wading locations.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the forum. Nothing wrong with catching small fish if you use light enough tackle. We have a bunch of members in Texas. I am sure they can help you out.

Frank
Old 11-06-2008, 09:52 AM

Default Suburban maybe? :-)

Hi Bryant,

Thanks for the reply! I'll have to plead ignorance here and ask what the "214" is? Checking out the Dallas Fly Fishers meetings sound like a good plan. Do you have some specific areas of Grapevine or Lavon that you recommend?

Thanks again,

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunner View Post
Jerry,

Whoever thought that Frisco and McKinney would one day become "urban"? I heard Sean at Orvis Dallas did a great presentation on Flyfishing the 214. I'll see if I can get something from him for you. I live in Frisco and there are a number of city parks and ponds that are pretty well stocked. In the next few months Plano and Carrollton will stock a number of their ponds with trout.

Another great resource would be to go the Dallas Fly Fishers or the group up in Sherman.

From our area, Broken Bow is only a few hours away (I'm actually heading up there tomorrow night to attend Rob Wooddruff's entomology class). Lake Grapevine and Lavon have some nice wading locations.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the welcome Frank!

I built up a little 7'9" 2 weight on a Sage Light Line blank years ago (back when they were still making Light Lines), and it's been a great little small fish rod. I also put together a 6'9" Light Line 4 weight that I use if I want to fish a slightly bigger popper. Both rods are a blast to fish with, so I'm perfectly happy leaving the bigger water to the bass boats and finding a few small creeks for myself

Regards,

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the forum. Nothing wrong with catching small fish if you use light enough tackle. We have a bunch of members in Texas. I am sure they can help you out.

Frank
Old 11-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Loy Lake near Sherman is known for being great. The Red River below Texoma can be very productive for stripers. (know the laws before stepping in though) The area below the Dam at Lake Lewisville has a assortment of fish in it, including some spaniel sized carp. texasflyreport.com might offer more info.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:52 AM

Brunner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suburban maybe? :-)

"what the '214' "?

Its the area code for Dallas.