The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Okay, this is embarrassing... (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/6476-okay-embarrassing.html)

jdub 11-10-2008 04:00 PM

Okay, this is embarrassing...

I'm a Colorado transplant who has lived in Texas for almost 18 years. I've fished all over central Texas and caught Largemouth, Smallmouth, Guadalupe Bass, Rio Grand Perch, Catfish, Carp, and all kind of assorted sunfish.

I found a little pond in north Texas where I now live, and have caught a couple of these things and I'm not sure what they are. The pond has a lot of sunfish, catfish, and largemouth, and who knows what else. The large scales and single dorsal fin make it look like a very large Shiner. I'm catching them with a bead head hare's ear on my little 4 weight.

Can someone clue me in? Thanks!

Hi jdub,

I am sorry that I had to delete your photo. It was too large and was blowing out the Portal Page. Please reduce the size of the photo and repost it. No photo should be big enough to push the right side of the page off of the screen.

That is an interesting picture and others might want to see it.

Thanks, Frank

devon flyfisher 11-10-2008 06:05 PM

Re: Okay, this is embarrassing...

Looks like a bream to me but i'm no expert on Texas fish!
Cheers
Richard

fshfanatic 11-10-2008 07:46 PM

Its not a Bream or any member of the sunfish/bluegill family. It is a shiner.

jdub 11-10-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fshfanatic (Post 38433)
It is a shiner.

Thanks! I'm just not used to seeing "bait" that big :smile: I just looked it up and the Texas state record for a Golden Shiner is just over 8 oz. I might have to go trophy hunting :wink:

flyflingerandy 11-10-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdub (Post 38434)
Thanks! I'm just not used to seeing "bait" that big :smile: I just looked it up and the Texas state record for a Golden Shiner is just over 8 oz. I might have to go trophy hunting :wink:

You might have already done it!

KRD 11-10-2008 08:27 PM

That is one large bait fish.

liv2fish 11-10-2008 10:34 PM

hahaha... thats the biggest shiner I've ever seen. Congrats on your likely state record!!!

jdub 11-10-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liv2fish (Post 38442)
hahaha... thats the biggest shiner I've ever seen. Congrats on your likely state record!!!

Thanks, but I had him out of the water just long enough to take a pic to try to figure out what he is. If I catch him again though..... :)

GeorgeMcFly 11-11-2008 01:44 AM

awesome fish! thats crazy you caught the hugest minnow ever!

devon flyfisher 11-11-2008 04:15 AM

Take a look at the 5th picture down on the link, you can see why i thought it was a bream.
FLY FISHING - Freshwater Records 1922 - 2004 - your online Fly Fishing Resource and fishing tackle shop.
Cheers
Richard