The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 12:49 AM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice
Default Tenkara

Well. if I was entering a peacock bass tournament tomorrow... I'd bring my fly rod and a bunch of small flys (1/2 to 1 inch size) That's the only thing I got them to bite today... flys.
My "fly rod", a 13'6" Amago, hooked all the fish. But because the Tenkara rod is so light you can't use leaders stronger than 5# test.... my largest PB on the Tenkara today was 2 pounds. Those 3 and 4 pound PB and LMB kept breaking the leader.
It was good fun catching the red devils and bass under a pound.
Click the image to open in full size.
This is the size fish I was looking for... peacock bass under a pound... but when one of the big guys hit, you could kiss the fly goodbye and start re-rigging.
These little guys are lots of fun... although you have to get them into the boat quickly before one of the larger fish grabs it. (This is a baby peacock bass, not a lure with out the treble hooks).
Well, not every large fish broke my leader.... there was a 4# size largemouth bass that grabbed my "lure that I forgot to put the treble hooks on". When it finally realized it was "hooked"... it jumped and threw the "lure with no treble hooks in it". Since all this took place right beside the boat and in clear water... it was really exciting to watch.
The "lure with no hooks" was released back into the grass, none the worst for it's experience.)
I still can't believe I was able to land this 2 pounder.
Why in the world would a fish with such a big mouth go for so tiny a fly?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:36 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tenkara

I've been surprised many time when a large fish sucks in a tiny fly. I think they must pop them in like a breath mint or something.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 12-30-2010, 06:55 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I've been wanting to try one of those Tenkara rods on some steelhead, but don't think that the outcome would be good.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Stan: Looks like you had a great day on the water, congrats!

Larry

Old 01-12-2011, 01:22 PM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough

Tenkara for wamrwater fish!
Never thought of that, but it surely blew off my mind especially when
I see someone using that against peacock bass.
Lake Wilson, is it?
Old 01-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
I've been surprised many time when a large fish sucks in a tiny fly. I think they must pop them in like a breath mint or something.
This is so funny when I first read it I just about spit out a mouth full of coffee!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Been following the tenkara threads on a couple forums for a few weeks.

I keep asking myself, "Is there any situation the tenkara can handle that my regular rod couldn't handle?"
Old 01-17-2011, 02:01 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post

I keep asking myself, "Is there any situation the tenkara can handle that my regular rod couldn't handle?"
You can also ask "Is there any situation that the ol' worm and bobber couldn't handle..." It's just a different means to the same end. I think it is pretty cool that they go down to a 20" tube for backpacking.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post

I'd say that the long rod and light line allow the ability to be more precise in a variety of presentations. Of course there are a number of situations in which a reeled rod is more appropriate. I think fixed-length-line systems are very good at what they do, but they don't do everything.

Best analogy I can come up with is that it is similar to why folks have reeled systems of various line weights. While one could probably get by fishing with only a 6 weight rod, other line weights may be better suited for their intended purposes.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Should have been a little more specific in my reply. When I ask myself if the tenkara could do anything my fly rod couldn't, I'm thinking of the fishing situations I frequently face - a lot of room for fish to run, and the possibility of a large fish.
I can think of a couple small creeks with small fish where it just might be a good choice.
I may end up with one even if I try to talk myself out of it.